DjangoBooks.com

Musicians' quotes on practice

Comments

• PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio

Thanks for sharing that anecdote. On the flip side for me, in 2005 at DFNW, 3am at the after hours jam at Troy's house: after standing admiring the main jam with Patrick Saussois, I was about to call it a night when Patrick called Danse Norwegian and no one knew it at that time, but it was a tune I loved and played regularly...so with my heart racing ten to the dozen and with my rain coat on, I stepped up and accompanied Patrick with the chords! It's a moment I'll treasure.

Re quotes "If you make a mistake, play it twice, they'll think you meant it!" (Unsure who said it)🙂

Bucobillyshakes

Playing a mistake twice is passable in Jazz. Improvisation. I don't recommend it in classical. :)

Buco
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    edited December 2020 Posts: 1,308

Like this? ha ha

Playing a mistake twice is passable in Jazz. Improvisation. I don't recommend it in classical. :)

BillDaCostaWilliamswimBuco

yeah but even in jazz you definitely two wrong notes in succession that just rip your ear and make it bleed and you end up just like these poor classical chaps. I know, I've done it.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

@Twang I was in one of Gonzalo's classes when he said that and explained further what he means. And it was one of my guiding principals ever since.

Twangbillyshakes
  • I remember Duved telling me “Django didn’t study Django to play like Django”

Sounds sort of silly out of context but when you give it enough thought there’s something special to it.

BucobillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

It's not a quote about practicing specifically, but it sure does help me when i remind myself of it while practicing (and on the bandstand):

"You are never more than a half step away from a right note". Victor Wooten

@MikeK yeah, I think Miles D said something similar. But I also thought I read that Miles said something like "if you play a bad note, please don't play it again", or something . I actually like the latter one better.

Didn't we have a similar talk @billyshakes when you quoted one one of these and I said "yeah but you can definitely play two notes in a row that are totally wrong"?

It's a nice poetry and all but if I'm soloing and I hear a bum note, I don't have cat reflexes like those guys to instantly resolve it. I'm much more likely to slip into a panic mode and dig a deeper hole for myself.

MikeKbillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsLango-Django