DjangoBooks.com

How much do you practice? 2020 in review (and now also 2021 in review).

Comments

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Christiaan van Hemert has just done one of his reaction videos where he and Alexandre Tripodi compare the time they devote to different kinds of practice and then the two of them discuss an online experiment at Saxologic that compares the time devoted to 3 different approaches to practicing new phrases.

https://youtu.be/-yYVSNLRYLI

Longish video but the conclusions were surprising for me - time to rethink my practice regime!

Buco

Started watching...will probably have to finish tonight. Good stuff.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I know the acronym TL;DR....is there a TL;DW? Sounded good, but is also long. Maybe I'll wait until someone posts a time stamp of where the conclusion is? I pecked around but didn't find it yet. I wonder if I spend the 1h20+mins practicing licks while watching for the conclusion, if that method would work?! Maybe make my own response vid to their response vid! 😀

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

There is no conclusion in that video. They are going to test it out and report on what they find after a couple weeks. Saxologic came up with a conclusion though.

For most YouTube videos and podcasts, I watch/listen to them at 1.25x or 1.5x speed. For some YouTube channels where they talk really slow, I can actually do 2.0x speed. You can still understand everything and it takes less time!

billyshakes
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 4,735

I watched it but in between other things so I'm not even clear about everything I heard. I think big discovery for the sax player, who's video they commented on, is that maybe more repetitions practice method doesn't result in a better outcome. Rather, you play something until you can play without a mistake at a very relaxed tempo and you move on. Well, there's more but you'd probably have to watch the video. I enjoyed listening to both of them and they made me laugh despite Christiaan claiming his channel lacks humor and that's why it doesn't grow as fast.

billyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

I watch/listen to them at 1.25x or 1.5x speed. For some YouTube channels where they talk really slow, I can actually do 2.0x speed.

@geese_com thanks for the tip - that gives me more weekly practise time right there.

And yes, the saxplayer's experiment on practice time was interesting but best to wait the 2 weeks until C v H publishes the result of his 2 experiments to have a more definitive idea.

billyshakes
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Posts: 872

I just love seeing a community involved and sharing, unless it is about trying to break into The Capitol Building.

I am doing music all the time but only an hour a day on average on Gypsy Jazz and never on Sundays, day off to recharge and get away from anything music related except maybe typing on a forum....:)....also to spend time with my wife.

richter4208BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault

If you guys haven't read it already I highly recommend "The Talent Code" by Daniel Coyle. A very insightful book on the subject of growing talent in any discipline.

geese_comBuco
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

Thanks for the recommendation. I borrowed the audiobook from the local library. Now I can listen to it over the next couple days at 1.2x speed! 😁

nomadgtrBucoTDog
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 1,231

I'd also suggest subscribing to the periodic emails from jazzadvice.com. You'll start to see the same advice repeat itself over time about practice and absorbing material. For me, its a stepwise development and I've started to see the same common themes in all practice methods and have consolidated my thinking of it to this:

Is the concept you are trying to learn focused enough, ear catching (to you), and useable? I tend to agree with the idea that things that catch your ear are things that are "ear sexy" and we should figure out ways to absorb these.

Can you play the concept in one key by rote with no mistakes?

Can you play the concept in twelve keys by rote with no mistakes?

Can you insert it into a song?

Taking it to the next level

Can you transfer the concept to different positions? If not all positions, can you transfer them to useable/playable positions? Are the non-playable positions in a blind spot for you? if yes, then think about learning it.

Can you start it on different beats?

Can you modify the concept? For example, if it is a major ii-V lick, can you make it a minor ii-V lick? if it is a chord based lick, can you modify it to play it on a major, minor, or dominant type of chord? Can you play it on any chord degree? This last one is extremely fruitful in discovering new ideas. Also, you can turn ii-V licks into resolution licks too.

Can you insert these into a whole song?

Once you hit yes to all of these, add it to your review list and move on. When advanced players tell you to play it until you are sick of it or throw it away.I'm thinking that they have exhausted the possibilities. Eventually, this gets easier and less time consuming with each concept and you can add your desired method of tracking or timing or what have you to get through this list. My two cents.

billyshakesBucoTDoggeese_com