DjangoBooks.com

Clifford Brown Sandu solo on guitar

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    edited March 2021 Posts: 1,308

I don't remember Suzanne's specific comment, but I was going to add my two pennies to this discussion earlier. I decided not to then, but I guess I'll add them. There are often those idiosyncratic things on any instrument. Try doing a glissando on the guitar of just the "black keys" (only sharps/flats). Someone on this board might be talented enough to time their picking to skip every other fret (in most cases) as they play a quasi-chromatic run up the neck. I know I couldn't do it without a heckuvalotta practice. Yet, sit me in front of a piano, an instrument on which the only famous song I can play is the tune Bill Murray taught me ghosts hate. Yet I, like any 6 yo, could run my fingers along just the black keys and do that glissando simply.

I had gone back to Buco's vid to see the section he talks about with the big horn leap. I don't know that I found it, but I interpreted that to mean something like a 2 octave leap and then back down to the previous register. On a horn, it is just tightening an embouchure. On a guitar, it is a big slide or jump up and then back down. Awkward.

Buco
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited March 2021 Posts: 3,319

Dang it Buco, another song I have to learn!!

Did you happen to tab it out?

BTW I like it at that tempo. Very cool.

thx

Buco
  • edited March 2021 Posts: 4,742

Ha, thanks man. I didn't tab it but maybe it's time for my first Soundslice. I started a Soundslice for Minor Blues years ago and it still sits there unfinished, so set your expectations low. It still moves at a nice clip at this tempo doesn't it?

Bill, it's very subtle effect and it didn't happen immediately. I could hear it but at first as I was learning I left it out as one of those instrument specific peculiarities and figured I'm not going to spend time trying to put it into my playing. Then said "ok let me see what can do with this". And it's really a simple thing to play. Maybe that should be the first video...boy, I feel like I'm not over promissing at all!

PS I found this. I'll still give it a shot...

https://robertbeasleymusic.com/downloads/sandu/

PSS

There's one on Soundslice too

Bones
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited March 2021 Posts: 1,855

Hey Buco,

Is there any chance that your Soundslice transcription/s could be made available for free to anyone around here who wants to check them out...?

I don’t know much about Soundslice, except for ordering a few lessons there... sincere apologies if I am suggesting something that will piss off Adrian...

but it might be enjoyable for the entire gang to chew on this topic...

If not forever, then at least until it loses its flavour on the bedpost overnight...

Will

Buco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

most of licks at the minute mark can be used 2-3 different ways so to get the most milage out of the same lick it is good to know a bit of theory or similar sonics. The lick will be unrecognizable to most but it can be the exact same lick.

Buco
  • edited March 2021 Posts: 4,742

Yeah Will, it's up to the creator of the slice. I'll send you a personal coupon for 20% off and my introductory price will be $20 with $20 instant savings. Of course that doesn't include that beer at Django in June.

• BonesBones Moderator

Nice bass solo on this one. Who is the bass player?

Buco
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Yeah Will, it's up to the creator of the slice. I'll send you a personal coupon for 20% off and my introductory price will be $20 with $20 instant savings. Of course that doesn't include that beer at Django in June.

Deal!

One of the things that interest me about your transcription is its rhythmic groove, so very different from the usual guitar feel...

Buco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Well, this sure sent me to school. It took me two evenings to write out the head. But it's okay, I needed something like this to force myself to start learning notation better. Now I'm having trouble with writing out those turnaround phrases at the beginning of the solo. I looked at one existing transcription on Soundslice and the second bar is written as 4 groups of 8th note triplets. I don't hear it that way. But it's tricky to write the way I hear it because I don't quite know how.So I'll pick it up tomorrow.

And there may be a few wrong notes in my version.

rudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliamsBones