DjangoBooks.com

Clifford Brown Sandu solo on guitar

Comments

By the way thank you @adrian for free fully featured music notation software.

lostjohn
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Hey, no problem, Buco, we will just play those wrong notes with extra conviction...

Buco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

This is as far as I got a few nights ago.

https://www.soundslice.com/slices/nsDDc/

Couldn't figure out in the last transcribed bar how to make the timing sound like what Clifford plays and correctly fill the bar. Right now is sounds fairly close to the audio but the music notation is incorrect. If I get the notation correct then the audio doesn't quite come together. I'm just such a beginner at this. This may be the study at how not to write a chart. Because I have a suspicion that when writing a chart, you need to ,of course, put in the correct notes with the good timing but at the same time balance it with a well organized chart visually. So you need to know how to weigh one against the other. Mine, to my ears, sounds close to the original but I suspect somebody that's very familiar with reading music will take one glance and say "what's this garbage". I don't know...

anyway, I'll get to it eventually but meanwhile other things took over: recording guitar tracks (going back to my metal roots) for my buddy's mesh-up of hip hop beats and gusle (mentioned recently on the forum, but in electronic form) and a Dixieland themed collab featuring, once again: the banjo (you asked for it @Lango-Django !)

WillieBillDaCostaWilliamsrudolfochrist
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

The guys at OpenStudio ran a guided practice session on Sandu this week:

BucoBones
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited March 2021 Posts: 3,319

Edit- haha obviously I can't read notation worth a crap especially early in the morning.

As I'm watching this, even he isn't sure about some sections whether it's triplets or 16th notes.

He mentioned something I heard too and it was neat where Clifford is kinda doubling up (to me it sounds like he's doing by breathing in, but I don't even know if you can make a sound on trumpet that way) on notes in the bars 5&6. They're mostly ghost notes but there's clearly audible audible note in the bar 6 (I think it's F he throws in between A and G, don't have my guitar close...) which I started playing at first but the way Clifford is playing it, it's so subtle that when I did it on guitar it sounded wrong so I decided to leave it out.

It's really cool to hear him getting a kick out of playing this solo too. I haven't learned many solos in my life but this one is specially awesome.

Buco, I am finding it difficult to play along with that computer-generated melody, which is what I was hoping to do.

Would there be any way of synchronizing the Soundslice tab with your original recording once you’ve got it all entered?

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Would there be any way of synchronizing the Soundslice tab with your original recording once you’ve got it all entered?

Yes, that's exactly one of the cool features of Soundslice and that's the grand plan.

@Lango-Django my video is now synced to the notation I finished so far and I think I've sorted that bar I got stuck on. But now I'm banned to play my Gypsy guitar past 11 so another day...

BillDaCostaWilliams
    edited March 2021 Posts: 1,855

“Well, I don’t care what Mama don’t allow...” obviously no longer applies in 2021...

Hey, I just went to your Soundslice piece, fantastic!

I’m gonna mess around with it later today...

...its a nice warm sunny day here and we are invited to a socially distanced garden party...

Will

Buco