DjangoBooks.com

R.I.P. Jon Delaney

ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
in Welcome Posts: 959

Although I was only a distant 'digital' fan, I am sure there are many on here who knew him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JH9DFkYdC0

Comments

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

I saw the news last night and was very sad to hear it. Jon is a big inspiration to my playing. He seemed like a really kind guy. I am thankful for all the music he left us.

I made a couple of Soundslice transcriptions of his playing and now I feel like I need to make even more of them to preserve his work and spread the word of this amazing player:

djazzyrudolfochristKlausUSBuco
  • TonyReesTonyRees New South Wales, Australia

Very sad news. I saw him do a great show in Hobart, Tasmania (where I was living) back in 2011 - lots of Sarane Ferret tunes... A lovely guy who I corresponded with a number of times after.

I saw it last night on FB. It was a shock. Didn't know he was that sick. I'm rarely on FB and just as I was about to close the page I saw the post from Rick Olivarez about it. I see now he wrote about him having cancer over there. I wondered about him sometimes since he almost never popped in here but was very active at one point. I can't shake off the picture I saw with him and his baby. It breaks my heart every time I think of it. So sad. So f'ed up. I had a scotch today with a friend who also liked his music. We toasted to Jon. Rest in peace Jon Delaney. You made the world a better place.

billyshakesrudolfochrist
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021 Posts: 872

I am in shock, I never met him but as I started getting into GJ I came to this forum and heard Jon and went, "oh that's what GJ is supposed to sound like" and instantly bought the download to his project he just had completed. Then of course I did what many of us do, I started to study what he did. When you spend time learning a player it almost feels like you know them on some level. He had influence on me in my beginning GJ years and happy I got to live with his playing....😪

richter4208Buco
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited March 2021 Posts: 6,153

Wow, I’m so sorry to hear this. I’ve known John since the “old days” and had the good fortune to meet him in person. Super nice guy and a great player.

richter4208
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

RIP Jon. Say hi to Django for us....

richter4208billyshakes
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • TwangTwang New

Very Sad. I never met him but I followed his amazing playing.

• db5db5 New

What a loss. I adore his playing and his compositions. His solo guitar playing...so inspiring. especially love his album, Paname. I, too, am very grateful for all he shared. Thank you, Jon.

Deepest condolences to those that knew him and those who made music with him.

db

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Very sad news.

I regularly go back to Jon’s Paname and See you in my dreams albums.

• BonesBones Moderator

OH NO! I didn't know him personally but PMed him a few times and he was kind enough to respond. I wish I would have known him as he seemed like a super nice guy. Monster player too. This is very sad news and I'm shocked. This is a huge loss to our GJ community. My deepest condolences. RIP Jon!