DjangoBooks.com

Pickup for D-Hole Guitar?

Looking for some recommendations for a removable pickup for a D-Hole guitar.

Any thoughts on the Krivo Micro-Manoúche or Miller Flèche d'Or?

Comments

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

I think the Krivo sounds great, I got more compliments when I used to play with Krivo pick up than any other. I actually had the paf krivo, had a very jazz sound, not as brash

CraigHensley
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

I use a krivo micro-manouche (and occasionally a krivo djangobucker) regularly on my D-hole. They both sound great and are extremely reliable, with consistent, worry-free sound. I putty them as close to the neck/fretboard as they can go. That means just a thin line of putty on the top of the guitar & a tiny dab where the pickup meets the fretboard. Let me know if a photo will help. The only slight challenge when I use the djangobucker is that my pick nicks it every now & then, since it's bigger than the micro. But that's not an issue with the micro.

CraigHensley
  • CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New Barault

@MikeK That's a huge help, thanks. Can you send a pic of the micro-manouche placement over the D-hole?

Here you go, Craig. Let me know if you have any questions.

CraigHensley
  • radrad New
    edited March 2021 Posts: 5

I carved a Duncan woody to fit. It is a very clean, bright pup .. totally works. I have done many gigs with it.

BucoCraigHensley

@rad Great solution! Innovative use of resources. I went with a Krivo micro-manouche and loving the sweet tones through my tube amp. Can't wait to gig with it soon.

Buco

What amp are you using, Craig? I use a tweed Fender Blues Jr & love it with the krivo pickup on my d-hole. Most of the other GJ guitarists in my area use solid-state amps, but I'm not budging.

Twang

@MikeK I'm using a tweed Fender Pro Jr and love it. I also have a Fender George Benson tube amp, but I actually prefer the smaller amp. We usually all plug into the PA system through our preamps when we gig to keep things simple and uncluttered, but I definitely prefer the tube amp sound.

rudolfochristMikeK
  • radrad New

I go with a tweed pro junior as well. .. tubes forever ..

rudolfochristCraigHensleyMikeK
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

This question is for MikeK, or anyone who is using the new Krivo brass humbucker with a D-hole. I mounted mine like MikeK, and even included a little putty at the end of the extended fretboard for extra stability. If I see the picture correctly, your strings may be as close to the pickup as mine. I raised the action a little because I was getting some occasional vibration of the high E string against the pickup. I’m getting more pronounced volume from the high E and the B strings relative to the the rest of the strings. I’m just starting to experiment with this pickup and made some adjustments with an LR Baggs Venue DI trying to balance the sound through my Schertler. I left the low pass on the amp on; may experiment with turning it off to balance the tone.

Just wondering if anyone has worked on settings to get a balanced signal from this pickup. The strings are very close, and I’m using as little putty as I can to create distance. The strings do arc in a slight radius per the shape of the bridge and in sync with the fretboard. Any idea how close is too close to the strings for this pickup?

in general, I like the sound of the pickup. It seems more refined than a Peche. It has the advantage of being one of the only pickups thin enough to fit between my soundboard and the strings of my DuPont MDC50.