DjangoBooks.com

It's nice here

in Welcome Posts: 279

I frequent a well known Jazz guitar forum, and in the last few months it is getting unbareable there. Every discussion bet quickly becomes a political debate. Not a good one either.

I just want to say you folks are awesome. Always friendly and helpful.

I have a pet theory that since the lockdown folks aren't out playing gigs or getting much new gear. We're locked in our solos with nothing to do but complain.

Not me. I've been practising :)

nomadgtrTwangWillieBucobillyshakesBonesrudolfochristMichaelHorowitz

Comments

• StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

I think Michael runs a tighter ship than Dirk. The political threads are getting tedious to be sure. I would rather debate guitars than politics any day.

TwangWillie
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

I believe my guitar is browner than yours.

What IS brown?

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

I believe my guitar is browner than yours.

Possibly, but she's still not as sexy as my blonde Parisienne hottie, 'Lucia...

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited May 2021 Posts: 3,319

Haha yeah not too much politics here. This isn't really political but I guess as close as GJ gets. Hey Craig, remember that time we were playing that gig in someone's backyard in SB in like the middle of the afternoon and the neighbors called the cops. We are jamming away and all of a sudden the cops come walking around the house into the backyard and listened to us for a bit and then said something like "sounds pretty good" and left. That was a close to politics as I've seen in this genre. I think we have some pictures of us at that gig somewhere.

BucorudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesScoredogMarkA
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

GTFO

Bones
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

GTFO

You talkin' to me?

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Seriously, I am grateful that this little corner of the internet remains such a happy place.

And I am especially grateful for the knowledge and wisdom of so many of the folks here...

rudolfochristPetrovWillieBillDaCostaWilliamsnomadgtr
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

Not to draw too many parallels, but I've never been to a gypsy jazz jam that felt like a cutting session. Definitely some guys calling more difficult tunes at faster tempo's to feel out newer players, but not even close to a few trad jams (worst was NYC).

Me: Hey, what key do you play this song in?

• Gypsy Jazz Jam: We play it in C, though some play it in D like Bireli.
    • Jazz Jam: Key of C.
    • 'Cutting Session:' The key you always play it in.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Cutting Session:' The key you always play it in.

The way I heard it told... and then, when you start playing in C (because that is how it is always played), you realize they chose to play it in Cb major because it has the most flats or some other added level of difficulty. Might be apocryphal, but that's the lore I heard.