DjangoBooks.com

How to get a gypsy rhythm tone out of my electric guitar?

13»

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

When I was first learning to play la pompe, as a drill, I rolled up a small piece of paper to act like a cigarette and held it similarly to how Maurice holds his here. I felt it allowed me to avoid excess tension in my right hand. Clearly it isn't required, but it was a part of my journey.

I always think of Maurice as "the other Ferret", since he isn't one of "les Frères Ferret". Can anyone explain how they relate to each other? I found this old post.

It looks like it might have been answered by Ted Gottsegen, whose contributions to the history topics all seem to have been lost when he left/his profile was deleted. Only fragments remain where his comments were quoted.

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

When playing la pompe on an electric guitar (either a Gypsy guitar with a mag pickup or an electric archtop) you really have to lay off the bass strings. Mag pickups have so much bass response that it really clutters up the rhythm sound so I just focus my right hand on the upper strings and that largely solves the problem.

juandererBillDaCostaWilliamsrudolfochristbillyshakes
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Maybe not ... could just be some papal bull.

Would you care to transubstantiate your latest dispensation?

BillDaCostaWilliams
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Dave Kelbie is worth checking out. He often plays with Fapy Lafertin both with regular acoustic SelMac or electric archtop and he always plays exactly what is needed. His electric tone is not the same but just as sweet.

rudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliams