DjangoBooks.com

Tea '42

2»

Comments

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

cassette tape flutter and saturation of the Tascam has a lot to do with the cool sound.

Interesting!

Inspired me to dig out my old Tascam 4-track and I'm pleased to see it still works. What I found inconvenient was that it records at a different speed to normal cassete recorders.

Buco
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 959

Yeah, on some the cassette has to run faster to get a decent quality recording, the earliest ran at 1 7/8 inches per second, but the improved models - I think the 244 - used 3 3/4ips for better quality, but anyway, they would not playback anyway on a normal stereo so you need to output your mix to another recording/playback machine if you want to play it back anywhere other than through the Tascam, which if it is another regular cassette, rather than a hi-fi reel to reel I guess means you are back to cassette quality anyway.............I think they later had switchable speeds anyway. Gee, that reminds me, it has been a long time since I used one, but being a total failure at anything digital, maybe I should try to find one now and go back to basics.

Buco

On Tascam machine, way back in the day my rock band recorded a demo with it playing live. Soon after we did a professional studio recordings but even though fidelity was much better from the studio, we preferred the overall feel and sound we got from Tascam and by a long shot.

That Gibson plus DeArmond combo is such sweet tone combo though. No wonder lot of jazz players still swear by that pickup.

On a coffee subject, I think and as far as I know, turkish coffee starts with coffee, water and sugar all mixed and then it's brought to a boil. Bosnians boil the water first and then add coffee. This can be either in cezve or ibrik (džezva in Bosnian) or boil water separately and add to cezve in which you added coffee, or you add coffee to the boiled water. Stir and thenhen bring it to the boil. Some even do it 2-3 times, let it rise as it's boiling, remove so it stars settling and repeat. Almost always with no sugar. Because some people prefer it that way but also one of the old school traditional ways to drink it is to dip a sugar cube into coffee and take a tiny bite with each sip. Or do the same with lokum also known as turkish delight.

About 23-25 grams of coffee per 8oz/200ml of water. So it's the same as a pour over that's popular these days or a press or a double shot of espresso.

One misconception about coffee in Bosnia that I often read on the internet is that's it's dark roasted. Dark roast is a totally unknown thing in that part of world. It's always medium roast that's on the lighter side of roasting. Dark roasted would mean you've ruined the beans.

Great job, Vic.

billyshakesWillieBillDaCostaWilliamsrudolfochrist
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Or do the same with lokum also known as turkish delight.

Which is called "greek delight" if you are in Greece! Different name, same thing. 🤔

Thanks for the info on the Bosnian coffee process.

And to bring this back to topic, as Buco did, I'll reiterate my thanks and congrats to Vic on a job very well done!

• V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭

The same 1940 Gibson L7 archtop, recorded acoustically. I also used the cheapest mics I have: some behringer SM58 knock-offs. I was surprised at how good it sounds and haven't found the need to try anything more fancy.

More on the Tascam" it is kind of a pain in many ways. There are seemingly drop outs in the audio and it seems to pick up radio signals at certain locations/times of the day. It's difficult to sync with live video because of tape speed fluctuation. But I suppose that's also part of the "charm". Not super easy to find high quality unused Type II tapes either, but I have accumulated quite a few used tapes from garage sales. We'll see how well that works!

Buco

Vic,

I've recently enjoyed listening to your Solo Guitar album on Bandcamp that I purchased several months back. I see it was recorded on your 47 Epiphone Blackstone, but did you use the Tascam or similar recording setup on that project?

Willie
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021 Posts: 325

Thank you so much for listening. No the rig I used is exactly in that picture: MacBook and Apogee duet. Only recently got into tapes.

I have a couple of single releases I've put out in the past few months that are mostly on the Tascam, but I augmented them with extra tracks digitally. Not exactly django-related stuff but just in case folks might be interested:

https://vicwong.bandcamp.com/album/midnight-the-stars-and-you

https://vicwong.bandcamp.com/album/la-rondalla-aint-afraid

BucoWillierudolfochristbillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamslittlemark
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew

@V-dub

Beautifully oldfashioned tasteful danceable ...

I also like the ska/reggae vibe of the la rondalla and ain't afraid tracks.

littlemark