DjangoBooks.com

Battery Powered Amps

Comments

• V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭

Some considerations with older battery-powered amp models is that they probably use sealed lead acid (SLA) batteries. Those are heavy, they discharge when not in use, and have a shorter lifespan. If the amp is over 5-7 years old, chances are that battery is probably due for replacement. I recently did a job replacing the batteries in a Mobile AER and they definitely didn't make it easy: I had to special-order the batteries and take the whole thing apart to get access.

If you want something with removable/easily replaceable batteries you really can't beat the Roland stuff, which runs on AAs. I've actually been been impressed with the volume and tone of the Mobile Cube, which only weighs 5.5lbs. There are some Hawaiian steel guitarists that play through it exclusively!

• V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭

Also throwing the Yamaha THR series in the mix, I've seen folks use them and they seem to work great and are VERY compact:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/amps_accessories/thr/index.html

• everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭

I've had a few models of the Yamaha THR, and love them for practicing and as an actual audio interface into my computer. I have the THR 30ii, but I would say the other models aren't loud enough for live situations. I love that it has direct outputs and you can go into a pa. I did try to use it while busking (with a digital accordion), and it wasn't quite loud enough.

I just came across these and they look interesting: https://shop.eliteacoustics.com/collections/acoustic-amplifiers-lithium-battery . Not sure how they sound though!

djangology
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

I like my Roland Cube Street 5W battery operated amp and they also make a Cube Street EX 50W, which I haven't tried. I get some nice Manouche tones with the Roland and a Krivo Nuevo single coil pickup.

• BrettNBrettN New

I spent a bit of time on this a while ago and ended up buying the Bose S1. I was wanting the cleanest, least coloured sound I could get to play solo nylon-string stuff. This speaker with a LR Baggs preamp is just beautiful to my ears. All portable, two leads and great sound.

nomadgtrBucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

I wanted to revisit this thread as I hunted down and tried many amps this last month. TL:DR - I ended up with the Bose S1 Pro with the matching (and expensive) backpack case. It's not perfect, but it was the best option.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I ended up trying:

1. Yamaha THR
    2. Roland Cube Street
    3. Bose S1
    4. Fishman Loudbox Charge Mini

Requirements:

1. Light (<20lbs)
    2. Battery operation (flexibility on gigs & busking)
    3. Small (My load-ins have to be "1 and done" trips)
    4. Aux or Bluetooth input (for tracks & "muzak" between set)
    5. Sounds good without additional equipment (including a portable battery like @V-dub mentioned)

Nice to haves:

1. Carrying case
    2. Two or more inputs THAT BOTH SOUND GOOD
    3. Flexible in either microphone or pickup usage
    4. Throws sound wide vs long

Why I went with the Bose S1(the pros)

• Hit all the requirements
    • Hit all the nice to haves (two mic inputs are identical)
    • Sounded more like a PA than a guitar amp (sound was very natural)
    • Carrying case has a bit extra space so I can carry an extra mic for a violin player or singer
    • When playing with an electric pickup & backing track track this thing gets LOUD (used a Kleio 47 pickup). Like, play with a drummer loud.

The cons (or not so greats)

• SO MUCH BASS. Have to turn the bass nearly all the way down to get a flat response
    • If using a mic (I tried the AT831b), your volume will be significantly lower than using a magnetic pickup
    • Magnetic pickup tone isn't the best I've gotten, much more straight ahead jazz, but works. If electric guitar tone was #1, I would not have picked this amp.
    • EQ options suck. The guitar option sounds decent with magnetic pickups, but skip the settings if you aren't using a magnetic pickup.
    billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsrudolfochristnomadgtr
  • GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28

[It’s kind of expensive and “another thing to deal with” but, it’s worth looking at a Jackery separate battery power supply (or something similar). I have the Jackery 1000, it can simultaneously provide power for multiple devices including your favorite smaller amps, iPads, fans, lights, and jump your car in a pinch. Just floating this option because you don’t need to pick from the limited crop of battery powered amps if you go with a standalone battery. It’s also awesome for van-camping if you ever want to do that]

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

Have you used the Bose S1 with a condenser mic like a DPA 4099? I heard one recently and was impressed. I was thinking of picking one up to have as a backup and also just in case I need vocals for something.

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022 Posts: 522

fun thread.

there is also this amp by fender. Two XLR channels with phase select. Maybe the eq is more friendly than the Bose. Be interesting to compare.

Fender Acoustic Junior Go - 100-watt Acoustic Amp with Rechargeable Battery | Sweetwater

djangology
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

DPA 4099 is the industry gold standard and sound great for gigging! Even for studio, pairing one with an AKG 414 or a Neuman KM184 or U87ai!

I actually do use the Bose S1 Pro with an AT831b mic. Using mic's are possible, but you'll have to deal with a few issues:

• No phantom - you'll need a battery-powered box for a condenser like the DPA 4099. AT has one, and it works well, don't know for DPA
    • Feedback - To get the guitar loud enough for a gig, there's only one position that's really feedback resistant (where the bridge meets the moustache). Sound is balanced, but know you'll be a bit limited if you want to avoid feedback.
    • Lower Volume vs Magnetic pickup - I just can't get my guitar as loud. Usually not a problem, but have had some hard times cutting through a large band mix when playing lead. Never been a problem for rhythm stuff.

For me, I've been able to deal with all these. The only gripe I have is that my tone could be better with a D.I. or good tone-shaping pre-amp... but those are also more stuff to lug around and more potential points of failure. And for a live show that doesn't have pro sound, I'm willing to sacrifice some tone.

geese_com