DjangoBooks.com

Busking Technique

ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
in Technique Posts: 341

After studying with a number of instructors online and through purchased instructional materials over the years, and after having fronted a small quartet doing coffeehouse gigs, I found myself unprepared for playing completely acoustically on the street with other players. All that study of technique and learning of interesting phrasing and improvisation has become difficult to execute in a completely acoustic environment: busking on the beautiful all streets of the New Orleans French Quarter, in my hometown.

I seem to recall a Denis Chang video in which he discusses his preference for using as little amplification whenever possible. I have tried to adapt my technique to include enough power through rest-stroke picking, use of different picks, playing closer to the bridge, soloing with more chord stabs and 2-string phrases (thank you, Chuck Berry), to be heard, but it’s still difficult. I was wondering if y’all have run into some instructional materials – – videos, YouTube contributions, discussions, etc – – that have addressed this issue. Or, better yet, how have you dealt with this problem?

bbwood_98

Comments

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

My Solution:

Buy a really loud guitar . . . .

😉😂

Lango-Djangojuanderer
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Resonator guitars are nice and loud….also six string banjos… also battery powered amps…

But other than that, Chief, when volume is a problem I often resort to chord melody and octave stabs.

But I’ve gotta say it’s just no fun playing when your instrument seems to have all the volume of a fart in a windstorm…

Good luck!

Will

Buco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Try slightly tipping your guitar up toward your face.

Get used to how "hard" you play well when in a reasonable environment, and keep your playing at that physical level.

If possible, bring five or ten guitars to the busking situation and see which one(s) allow you to hear yourself best (just kidding!).

Maybe a more trebly guitar, or one with more attack or "crunch," would work best.

Maybe a D-hole.

Maybe a guitar with a side "port."

Buco
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 4,741

I've done a fair amount of busking last year. I thought I was plenty loud but that came at the expense of being too stiff. So I kept telling myself to relax and play quieter, without much success. Like most things, if we both went busking every day for an hour or two we'd get the technique we want before too long. One practical thing you could do is find a spot that's semi enclosed or play in front of the glass window storefront or something that'll reflect the sound, act as a natural amplifier.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

I concur with Buco, Chief. I busked for the better part of a year in 2017 in Asheville NC when I first learned how to play gypsy jazz. I used an archtop through a Roland Street Cube (battery powered) when I was downtown, awash in noisy traffic & noisy tourists. Then I landed a coveted weekly spot in front of the local health-food supermarket, where we were outside, but enclosed on 2 sides & overhead. My unplugged gypsy jazz guitar did great in that situation. In fact, at times it would be a bit too loud, so I learned the all-important facet of playing fairly quietly, especially rhythm. I hope some of that helps. Steady paying gigs are great, but those were good times & I have great memories of my busking days.

Buco
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    edited February 2022 Posts: 341

All helpful comments, guys. Thanks, I appreciate it.

May have a solution for the more difficult locations: I have a small battery powered Yamaha acoustic amplifier through which I can in-line a small graphic equalizer pedal run off of 9v battery, and toggle/boost for solos before dropping back into rhythm volume.

Because most of the locations are open air on the street, it’s sometimes difficult to form even a horseshoe shape so we can hear each other well, as you can see in the picture below. Nonetheless, what a beautiful place to be in the Vieux Carre’ of New Orleans. We may even have a fan.

BucowimWillieLango-DjangoAndyWMikeKbillyshakesrudolfochristChristopheCaringtonlittleknickyand 4 others.

That last picture I could see being published in Time magazine or similar, just beautiful.

Oh wow, didn't expect a busking lineup of this size. Awesome looking band though. Yeah that can be a challenging situation volume wise. Do they all drop out when you solo, except a rhythm section? I'd give it a few weeks and try to battle it out completely acoustic. Might give everyone a chance to feel things through and get everything to click together.

MikeKbbwood_98
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus
    edited March 2022 Posts: 187

A few thoughts:

1. You may be louder than you expect. I've played street jams completely acoustic with some plugged in bass and archtops. When it came to my solo, I heard one of the horn players say "hello" and look towards me with a surprised face. I asked him later what he meant - he said I just "jumped out" when I started my solo, whereas he didn't really hear me before (when playing rhythm).

2. Focus more on melody than speed. Reciting speedy licks is fun, but you have to sacrifice some volume for speed. Focus on playing phrases with intention and single notes with attitude.

3. Chordal lead is your friend. Think that one part of Django's solo on Minor Swing before his fast E7 run.

4. Face the bass. Turn towards the bass to lock in with them - you'll both feel more supported, which can make the entire band play better. In fact i'd recommend putting the bass player in the center so everyone can hear them better - especially if you can't "horseshoe."

5. Try your best to avoid amplification, buy if you do need it, buy nice not twice. Amplified gypsy guitars is a rabbit hole, filled with nothing but caveats.

MichaelHorowitzbillyshakesWilliegeese_comrudolfochristvanmalmsteen
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    edited March 2022 Posts: 341

Hey Chris,

All very good advice, and most of what I have already done.

I agree with your assessment of the “rabbit hole” of gypsy guitar amplification, and I’ve already invested both “nice” and “twice” in pursuit of it. Depending on the outdoor busking venue, my latest solution will include a small battery operated Yamaha acoustic guitar amp (I’m talking lunchbox small), a half size inline 5 band graphic pedal, through which I take the signal from my stick-on sensor pickup. I’ll still depend on acoustic sound most of the time, but for soloing, when not employing your suggestions, I can hit the pedal button and give myself just enough of a boost to have those single line solos sing out a bit more, while feeling more relaxed to produce them.

While I’m at it, might as well add that I use a collapsible tripod “Walkstool” to sit on. It’s very compact and light, but tough and portable.

With a guitar soft bag with shoulder straps, it’s all very portable. Pics below.

Buco
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy

Not a busking situation but not dissimilar: A jam session in a cavernous brewery space with chatting customers at the other end of the big room. I tried every loud guitar in my armory (which includes four archtops and two grande-bouche Selmer-styles), and the only one I can even hear myself is my National M-1 tricone. It also projects well, since players across the circle can hear me.

Buco