DjangoBooks.com

Busking Technique

2»

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

After trying about everything I have settled on these two for busking.

WillierudolfochristbillyshakesMikeKBonesAzazzellBucoTwang
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

So if you are going down that rabbit hole, I eventually came to two conclusions:

1. Your tone should be 90% of the way there with your pickup of choice (contact, mic, or magnetic) before the amp
    2. Get one amp to rule them all.

While in my mind and in the studio tone is king, for practically everything else convenience is king. If I were to start from scratch with my current knowledge of equipment and tone I would have gotten a Carlos CS sensor (non VIP) professionally installed on my guitar and paired it with a Bose S1 Pro (and bought the back-pack too).

• CS sensor is super feedback resistant when installed correctly (and inside the body)
    • Very natural sound, no hassle (no batteries, just a 1/4" cable)
    • Soft gigbag with a pocket for busking sign
    • The Bose has 11 hour battery, so as long as I charge it I never have to worry or care about power
    • Bose is Ghetto Blaster loud with plenty of clean headroom
    • Have a second input for someone else
    • Basic enough EQ to get by
    • Bluetooth for muzak between sets or tracks
    • Light (<15lbs)
    • The backpack can carry a tip jar, guitarstand, some cables, and the bose while being hands-free.

The investment into a "do everything" setup that includes busking is ~$1200 USD. That's expensive for most - but you don't have to buy again, worry for most gigs, your loadout is one trip, it's easy to carry on public transit or walk, and you're loud enough to play over a drummer and project, you have the ability to use tracks... the list goes on and on.

Buconomadgtrrudolfochrist
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy

A sneaky joke posted by a friend elsewhere:

Two of the damnedest things happened today: I found a hatful of money on the sidewalk, and next thing I know, some angry guy is chasing me down the street, brandishing a guitar.

Williebbwood_98AndyW
  • RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

Bring a big sign "Please be quiet, busking in process."

bbwood_98
  • adamrhoweadamrhowe New

Referring to the picture: How does the other guy's archtop compare in volume to your grand bouche?

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

Thanks, Christophe, for the very detailed suggestions, and thanks again everyone for your helpful ideas.

answer to your question, Adam, my friend’s archtop has good projection for rhythm, not so much for lead work. It works well together, however, with the whole group sound.

I do use a sensor pickup, but on the exterior of the guitar. I’ve gotten good at finding the “sweet spot,” and it stays mounted on the guitar. I also upgraded the Yamaha amp to the new THR30IIa ( “a” standing for acoustic.) It has a number of helpful settings for microphone emulation presets, a blend knob, three band EQ, some effects that I won’t use. It also has an input for microphone, and an internal battery that can be charged. It accepts a Line6 cordless relay, and I have a cordless Airstep YT pedal on order to toggle among presets.

it’s all very portable and somewhat lightweight, but I’ll only use that sound fortification if I need to. My preference will be to play all acoustic.

Needless to say, I’m not busking to make money, just to play. I’ll update y’all after the Airstep arrives and let you know how it’s working together.