DjangoBooks.com

Apologies this isn't about technique

crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
in Technique Posts: 921

Hi all, I recently suffered a near fatal heart attack three weeks ago. I seem to be on the mend but I feel so weak in my hands ands arms. I wondered if anyone else felt a loss of strength, ability and how long it was before you got back to normal.

Alan

always learning

Comments

• TwangTwang New

So sorry to here that Alan. Wishing you a speedy recovery

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

Alan,

Wow, glad to hear you're feeling better. Best wishes....

'm

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Get well soon, Alan.

Perhaps when you are feeling ready some “usquabae therapy” will bring back the old arm strength.

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Hope you are getting out the other side now, but while everyone has showed some sympathy none have answered your question. While the question of technique is probably not relevant anyway, and whatever your fingers could do before they probably will again in time, but seriously the only person qualified to advise you on the road to recovery would be your doctor. Have you asked? It would not be just about guitar playing which a doctor might not take seriously, but he/she should be able to advise you about the if and when of a general return to strength and fitness.

Meanwhile my only advice would be patience and listen the the medical experts.

• pdgpdg ✭✭

I would say at least that, if you play, use the easiest-to-play guitar, even if it's a strat with super-low action.

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Yes, I agree with pdg.

And if you are lying flat in bed with that low-action guitar, it might be easier to just play with your thumb for a while.

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Damn, Alan, that's nuts. I'm happy you're with us. I'm not surprised you feel weakness, that's a big stress on the body. I had a simple case of pinched nerve in the neck just recently and once I could get back to my old activities, I realized I had lost a lot of strength in my right arm which was where the problem was. Daily physical therapy exercises are getting me back to my old self. Some form of exercise will help you too I'm sure.

jonpowl
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Alan, glad you are still here with us. Best wishes on your recovery and resumption of playing.

• BonesBones Moderator

Best wishes for a speedy recovery CP!

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Alan, very sorry to hear that.

Hopefully you will gradually regain that strength.