DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Shows in Paris 2022

ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus
edited August 2022 in Europe Posts: 186

Looking for advice on where to see Gypsy Jazz while in Paris August 30 - September 8th from anyone whose recently been!

After doing a bit of digging I've found a lot of old haunts have closed since I last visited pre-pandemic:

• Aux Petits Joueurs - perm closed
  • La Venus Noira - perm closed
  • Trudain’s Cafe - perm closed
  • Jazz Cafe Montparnasse - perm closed
  • L'Atelier Charonne - perm closed

And even some of the usual spots don't have any Gypsy Jazz during my stay:

• Sunside Sunet - no Gypsy shows
  • Le Bal Blomet - temp closed
  • Assaporare - temp closed

I'm aware of a few golden spots, though their online calendars aren't up to date and I can't remember the best days:

• L'Apostrophe - Friday evenings were good, right?
  • La Chope Des Puces - I seem to remember Sat & Sun were the days
  • La Taverne de Cluny - Saturdays?

While searching around, I've also found these locations, but have never been and not sure when to go:

• Au Clairon des Chasseurs
  • Le Bouquet du Nord
  • The Green Linnet
  • La Chope du Chateau Rouge
  • l’Oberzinc (used to be La Locandiera)

Honestly, even looking at individual artist websites it's hard to find if they have any shows (i.e. Duved), or they just don't have a website (i.e. Angelo). So, appreciate any help you can provide!

Comments

• rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100
    edited August 2022 Posts: 139

The last time I visited Paris was January 2022, so more than 6 months ago. Friday at L'apostrophe is still a thing and mighty good.

I think I saw some folks jamming at Assaporare on Instagram quite recently (Weren't it Duved with @dennis 🤔) so I guess it's still going. EDIT: Just realized: temp closed during your stay.

I saw Tchavolo Schmitt at Le duc des Lombardes in January. He had four more show in July (June?) there. Mozes Rosenberg played there as well. So, this is one more address to check for jazz manouche shows.

Arnaud Alexandre seems to organize a lot of Jazz manouche in Paris. Perhaps you can connect with him: https://www.facebook.com/AlexSwingEvents

ChristopheCarington
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Wow, coincidence, I will be there those exact same dates so I will watch this post with interest too.

• everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭

check out Romain Vuillemin. he seems to be playing quite a bit: https://www.instagram.com/romainvuilleminquartet/

When I was there the other month, they had a regular jam in Bellville at this place called Les Piaules https://www.instagram.com/p/CembSUvqQim/

Duved's always boppin around. I usually see them post gigs a few days before...that's how I've come across the random shows.

rudolfochristChristopheCarington
  • lorenzoplorenzop New

I'll be in Paris sometime around 9/27 - 10/1 so I also hope this thread gets updated . . .

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 959

My schedule is a bit busy and now I only have Thursday September 1st, and Sunday the 4th to Tuesday the 6th free in Paris, flying out on the 7th.

This link lists most of the Paris jazz clubs at:

Hit the 'show more' and scroll down. I did not find anything GJ for the days I will be there but others might find it useful. Adrien Moignard trio is at Taverne de Cluny on September 8th (the day after I fly out, dang!).

Chope de Puces has a website that tells us not much;

https://lachopedespuces.fr/

The only event advertised there for September appears to 'Drag Night'. I read that since Marcel Campion took it over that Ninine Garcia no longer plays there, anyone know if that is correct? I may swing by for a look one day but don't hold out much hope there.

Gwen Cahue is at the Duc des Lombards on Tuesday 13th.

I may just take a walk around Montmartre and Boulevard de Clichy (used to be good for old music shops) and see what I find.

Anyone found anything else?