DjangoBooks.com

Paris jazz sessions, Edouard Pennes

Comments

• AndrewLawrenceAndrewLawrence Northampton, MA✭✭

Incredible project. We're bringing the string quartet version to Django in June this year. Jules Dussap will lead the quartet; Edouard Pennes and Julien Cattiaux on bass and rhythm guitar; Seb Giniaux, Fanou Torracinta and Romain Vuillemin alternating on lead guitar.

wimbbwood_98MarkABucobillyshakesrudolfochristWillieBillDaCostaWilliamsnomadgtrAndyW
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

Andrew - BRAVO! a great choice for sure. All amazing players, and talented educators as well as a few multi instrumentalists there . . . lol.

Looking forward to hearing the more 'straight' ahead group this week as part of french Jazz in NYC or whatever they call that thing now. . .

Ben

MarkA

@AndrewLawrence amazing, thanks for bringing them over!

They posted this a few days ago, don't know if I heard a version of Sway I liked better

billyshakeswimrudolfochristWillieChrisMartinBillDaCostaWilliamsDoubleWhisky
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

She's a great singer and the horn arrangement is great. Sounds like a big show band from some 40s cabaret more than a few friends chilling in an inner city back alley.

BucoWillieChrisMartin
  • rangrorangro

It is truly amazing what can be accomplished in post with audio repair software. In the past that recording would have been drowned out by an accumulation of ambient noise. That’s a lot of mics, so the noise would add up quickly! Now, each track can sound almost like a studio recording after applying a plugin like Izotope RX. Of course this was some serious professional engineering magic, but even a cheap ipad plugin like Brusfri can work wonders for the average person.

BillDaCostaWilliamsBucobillyshakesJangle_Jamie
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@rangro - ah ha! so that's the secret . . .interesting. Great info though.

Thanks!

Buco
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 4,750

@rangro interesting, didn't think about that. But actually in Reaper, which I'm using for home recording, there's included plug-in which can analyze and remove ambient noise. And it does a pretty good job. So I can imagine a professional grade software be able to do it that much better.

Suppose we'll be able to ask Edouard this summer how's he making this happen so damn good.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • djazzydjazzy New Riccardo Mordeglia, AJL
    edited January 2023 Posts: 66

ok, it took some time for me to figure out why I'm not crazy about this kinda thing. Just want to offer a flip-side -- apologies in advance. 😎

I've only watched a couple of the videos but it seems to me a gimmick. First, as a commenter above pointed out, what we hear on laptops and phones is mixed, filtered, etc., & isn't what actually gets heard in the street. Why? Because no one can expect street audiences that have to contend with traffic, noise, etc. to actually hear some nicely arranged string sections (legato and the like) as intended. OR if it IS kinda, like something what street audiences are hearing, (I imagine there could be a PA blaring the mixed stuff so loud that the whole arrondissement would hear it -- but to successfully suppress the sound of a siren or car horn or a maniacal wail from the disgruntled?) then... in either case... it seems like pure public spectacle. Personally, I'd like it way more if they ditched mics and rigs -- then it would be true busking. A little more intimate, less fussy, maybe more honest.

I would love to see more so-called "classical musicians" participate in so-called "gypsy jazz." But is this the way to do it? I ask, why bring together a string section with carefully worked (even if a bit lame) parts with hot jazz virtuosi * into the streets* rather than into a recording studio or concert stage? What's the purpose? If to Turn The Masses On To Our Music, would this kind of presentation actually be the way? Have we not learned the contrary over all these years? Also, as I alluded above though not unrelated -- beware of The Crossover Curse -- think of it -- lame renditions of See You In My Dreams from Bocelli Meets Birelli...The Three Tenors meet The Gypsy Jazz. Sebastien's Nessun Dorma could be an early step in that direction -- and he is apparently now leading the way. I think I dread that.

Buco
  • rangrorangro

@Buco Yeah, it’s not like I actually know, just a guess. But I’ve heard that RX, in the hands of an expert, is mind blowing. And those recordings sound so polished (clear, clean, with almost zero wind or traffic noise) that I’m assuming the post production is quite sophisticated.

Sounds like you’re going to DiJ! Hopefully you will have a chance to add to this thread if/when you get the details!

Buco
  • rangrorangro

@djazzy I just want to reiterate that my comment was/is pure conjecture, I should have made that clear. But I think we can all agree that there is a degree of polish that’s hard to explain in those videos, given the locations and the number of individual tracks. I, for one, would love to know how they did it.

I would also love to see this music reach a larger audience. Maybe this isn’t the way, it clearly isn’t for everyone. I just want to see musicians getting good gigs, and if projects like this help with that then great!

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams