DjangoBooks.com

What pick shapes do YOU wish existed?

Comments

• djazzydjazzy New Riccardo Mordeglia, AJL

Let me add one more thing. 🙂

The size of plectrums are obviously important but unfortunately that's not often listed by makers and sellers. For me, another 2 mm going whichever way on a pick can make a huge difference. More punch perhaps but is it holdable? #3, I believe, is 30mm X 27mm.

markusmanouche
  • JasonSJasonS New
    edited November 2022 Posts: 50

I'm a fan of the Dunlop Flow shape which is similar to #3 I think. My current favorite pick is the Honey medium Hornet w/ speed bevels in 3mm. I'd love to try your picks if you plan on selling them or sending them out on loan for feedback.

markusmanouche
  • markusmanouchemarkusmanouche Baltimore, Maryland, USANew Eastman DM-1

Yeah, I completely agree. A quarter for scale is also helpful in addition!

The first prototype is done! I love this material. Looking forward to honing my skills! Thank you for all of the advice.

WillieBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsDoubleWhiskybillyshakeslittlemark

Looks good.

littlemark
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • JojoJojo London UK

It’s taken me a very long time to find out which type of pick I prefer and it’s only been by accident. I have a cheap ‘Passion 2mm’ pick which I think I got in a pack of 12. However, because it isn’t well made it has a slight serration or perhaps an imperfect edge at the tip which makes it catch on the string more. What I’ve found out is that seemingly all smooth picks slide over the strings too much ( for me) and that the ‘imperfect edge’ gives a very slight drag, a sense of feedback, during single note stuff. I play a lot more accurately and the string sounds louder with more treble

• pdgpdg ✭✭

Another way to get that sensation might be with material that's a bit rougher or less polished in texture, even with a perfect edge.

Jojo
  • GregOGregO Tarpon Springs, FLNew Eimers Nympheas

I done a lot of experimenting. I like to try

• a Wegen Big City 1.8 type w/ holes (could be 2mm) only in their Mandolin/Banjo shape (your material looks good).
    • a Wegen type contoured Mando with grooves, only in 1.8 - 2.0.
    markusmanouche
  • chan005chan005 New
    edited February 26 Posts: 1

Hi Guys,

I'd love to see a pick shape that combines the precision of a standard teardrop with the versatility of a jazz III. Something that offers both a pointed tip for precise picking and a broader body for strumming, providing a seamless transition between techniques. This hybrid shape could offer guitarists the best of both worlds in terms of control and flexibility.

Willie