DjangoBooks.com

Looking for a new guitar: can anyone help?

Hey all,

now that my technique has really come together, i feel like i can graduate to a nice guitar.

i’m looking for an O-hole, as i prefer that sound for lead. i’m looking for that totally old school, dry sound. there’s so many builders that i’m not even sure where to start.

for what it’s worth, i also plan on recording with it.

my budget is around 5k-6k or so. i hear Volkert might fit the bill, based on my research? it seems like it has both a good lead and rhythm tone. i’d like to stick with more old world than modern, without having to spend 30k-50k on a vintage Selmer. am i on the right track?

curious for your thoughts and where i can check out some clips because i may have to buy sight unseen!

thank you!

Comments

For old school sound, check out AJL and Barault.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Looking through the current inventory of guitars here at Djangobooks, my choice would be the 2001 JP Favino with the ebony tailpiece. I'm purely going off Michael's description and the recording, but it seems to me to be an outstanding guitar with big volume coupled with a beautiful tone that I think fits your needs.

I should probably sell some of my guitars to fund a purchase like this myself.

Happy shopping! jamie

MichaelHorowitz
  • stuologystuology New
    edited December 2022 Posts: 196

You have a lot of options at that price point, but be careful as these guitars are tough to move on so you might not get your money back if you don’t like the guitar. I would make the effort to try some guitars even if that knocks a grand off your budget. Depending where you are, a weekend in Paris or a trip to the festival in Samois or a stint at Django in June will not only be worth the money, you will also have many opportunities to try lots of different guitars (and you might get a good deal on one as well).

It’s very easy to get caught up in the hype but guitars are very personal things. For my money, vintage Selmer’s are the most over-rated guitars in this field, everyone I’ve played has been a dog. Also, these guitars sound very different to the player than they do to the listener so it’s hard to judge from videos.

My personal favourite luthiers are Craig Bumgarner, R.J.Aylward, Jerome Duffell, Bob Holo and Jean Barault. JWC are also consistently good and excellent value.

If you’re hankering for proper vintage mojo, one of Barault’s relic models is a good option.

WilliewimBucobillyshakesdjangologyquizmaster72
  • Stamos666Stamos666 New

totally! yeah i’m happy to spend less on a guitar for sure.

that guitar sounds great. maybe! def on my list

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@Stamos666 I would also pay attention to some of the guitars on Reverb - there are some very good vintage instruments in this style from time to time. do your research, perhaps video chat with the seller about the guitar and hear it that way. It seems to me that the actual vintage (unless it's famously owned or says selmer . . . ) guitars are relatively in line with your price range as well. The two aformentioned jp fanvino & Castallucia's here at Djangobooks seem like they might be interesting to you.

However - The best is if you love the sound and feel of a guitar; try to make sure there is a reasonable approval period; or better perhaps if you can try the instrument. be Patient! The right guitar once is I think better . . . then 7 or 8 guitars in a year that you don't love. (IMHO!)

Good luck.

Jangle_JamieBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsMichaelHorowitz
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 4,739

Agree with @bbwood_98 at that price range make sure there's approval period, but expect covering shipping costs in case you need to return the guitar.

Of course best thing would be finding something you love locally. As @stuology mentioned, going to a large festival in a search for guitar is one way. It definitely is the most fun. Though I haven't seen any bargains at Django in June, at least as advertised by attendees, but there's usually a good selection. Best bet is buying a new guitar directly from luthiers. A friend got a bargain that way a few years back at Samois from a luthier. Even taking a piece of that budget and flying out to a large dealer, like Michael here, is something I'd consider.

And bargains always come along, either here in classifieds or Djangobooks storefront or Reverb or Facebook...at least a couple a year, just keep your eyes open.

Also, I see you're a long time member. Glad to see you stuck with it and you're happy how you progressed.

• Stamos666Stamos666 New

thanks! and yup, i joined here in my late teens. 14 years ago…damn

Bucobillyshakes

I see that you're around Richmond. Well in that case, I'd put Craig B at the top of your list. He's among the best builders. The best sign for the quality of his guitars is you don't see them for sale used often. If they do, it's usually the return customer getting a new guitar from him and then he sells the old one himself (he offers very generous trade-in value) He's close enough to where you can meet and discuss the specifics and even try one of his guitars as sometimes, if time will allow him, he'll build something that's not already spoken for.

BillDaCostaWilliamsJangle_Jamiedjangology
  • KlausUSKlausUS AustriaNew Cholet Intuition, Gaffiero Original, AJL Q&P

@Stamos666 : With this budget the door is wide open and there are a lot of choices. You can ´t go wrong with a Volkert. They are pretty expensive because the demand for them especially in the German speaking area is very high. You might want to consider the waiting time which is 1 to 1 1/2 years at the moment. But you also get the same quality for less money with many other luthier !!

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

Cyril Gaffiero hasn't been mentioned and I would put his work up there with anyone. The Busato style build (his Magda model) he did for me is as good as anything I've ever played. Stéphane Wrembel actually used it for his performance of Django L'Impressionniste when he was in town while his real Busato was in for guitar surgery.

KlausUS