DjangoBooks.com

Looking for a new guitar: can anyone help?

Comments

• edited December 2022 Posts: 79

OP, piece of advice - try not to spend more than $3,000-$3,500 on your first "real" Djangobox. You can still buy a ton of guitar in this price range while also saving some $s for the next one you will eventually (if not inevitably) need. More importantly, switching from a Gitane-style neck to an actual luthier-style (whether Selmer-influenced, Favino, modern-style, etc.) is a huge change in and of itself simply due to the Gitane's "shredder" neck profile being vastly more slim.

And as for a much more cost-effective alternative, consider buying an Eastman DM2 before going luthier, which is probably my favorite of the Asian-style guitars because the neck is so much closer to the JP Favinos they were designed to emulate (and imo the DM2 is significantly better than the DM1, easily worth the extra $500-$600) - considering the price, you'll still have a ton of money left in the bank to get your luthier-built guitar in the future but while also having a far better idea of how the neck will feel because again, Gitanes really just aren't even that close.

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Can you explain what you don't like about the slim Gitane/Saga necks please? I prefer the slim necks and narrower fingerboards, but if I'm missing a trick with chunkier necks, I'd like to know! Cheers, Jamie

• DeuxDoigts_TonnerreDeuxDoigts_Tonnerre Lawrenceville GA USANew Stringphonic #503 Basic, Altamira M30D, Eastman AR810CE, Giannini Craviola

I had a Gitane 250-M and while it was a beautiful guitar and played fine, the neck was very slim, similar to a Stratocaster neck. My main guitar at the time was an Altamira M30D with a standard (chunky) neck. Being very used to the chunky Altamira neck, I found that playing rhythm on the Gitane's slim neck became painful after a song or two. Not talking about fatigue either, I mean real pain to where you know something is wrong. I sold the Gitane because it was just uncomfortable to play rhythm on it and the sound was not as refined as my Altamira.

Had the Altamira for 8 years before I got a Stringphonic 503 Basic. It took absolutely zero time or effort to get used to the chunky neck on the Stringphonic transferring over from the Altamira. But the tone on the Stringphonic is much more refined and superb.

Jangle_Jamievoutoreenie
  • DeuxDoigts_TonnerreDeuxDoigts_Tonnerre Lawrenceville GA USANew Stringphonic #503 Basic, Altamira M30D, Eastman AR810CE, Giannini Craviola
    edited December 2022 Posts: 56

Also, while I am here, let me recommend Craig Bumgarner as well. CW has one here in ATL that I tried out, and immediately I was like "Yep, I gotta have one of these now...."

As for ready-for-purchase guitars, the Stringphonic guitar company would be my first choice. From what I read and have seen on YT reviews, the Stringphonics seem to be very consistent in sound and playability and price departments. I purchased a Stringphonic 503 Basic last year, and I really wish I had gotten one sooner. It is extremely comfortable to play, sounds like what a Selmer guitar should sound like, and the price is well within your budget. Any reputable gypsy guitar dealer should have some. In fact, our gracious forum host currently has at least 5 Stringphonics in stock. I would bet money that any one of those 5 guitars could become a keeper/long-time partner if you purchased it. Mine is a 503 Basic and is an absolute joy to play. The Advanced 503 models are $1K more, but still well within your budget and I am sure they would be a real treat to play as well.

For reference CW also had a vintage Busato, a Dupont, and another luthier-built (can't remember) there and the Bumgarner was hands-down my favorite out of the bunch. If I had the money, I would buy whatever guitar Craig builds next, not to replace my Stringphonic as it is an excellent guitar and I love it, but to add to my stable. The Bumgarner was outstanding and possessed its own magic, while at the same time, sounding and feeling different from the classic old-school Selmer sound which my Stringphonic does amazingly well considering the price I paid for it. Hope this helps, good luck choosing. Cheers.

• JasonSJasonS New

Geronimo Mateos is also worth a look for a luthier built guitar that won't break the bank.

BillDaCostaWilliamsvoutoreenie
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 79

Perfectly explained and to expand, while they're initially very forgiving for a player new/newer to the style, imo the Gitane-style necks only become a hindrance over time as your technique develops; quite honestly, a lot of the common horizontal arpeggios we use felt harder to play and "less natural" for me on the slim Gitane neck vs. pretty much any luthier-built Django box I've ever played. I've never had the chance to play an Altimira but much like the Eastmans, it sounds like they're much closer to a "traditional" neck profile than Gitanes are. And boy, those Stringphonic guitars are underrated as well and they're probably deserving of being listed alongside the Euro guitars simply due to the huge quality & construction differences in comparison to other Asian brands.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator

I recently bought a Eimers Antique 2020 model. You get a lot for the money ($3500) and his turnaround is pretty quick. A guitar twice as expensive is not more than 10%-20% better IMHO and sometimes they are worse.

• stuologystuology New

This is good advice. The best luthier is often the one closest to you, as they will be able to service It for you when needed. Having a good relationship with a luthier who knows these guitars is gold dust. Also, I have a CB guitar and it's my main player, it gets a lot of attention at jams.

ChristopheCaringtonBillDaCostaWilliams
  • Craig B is your man.