DjangoBooks.com

Sonora Gypsy Guitars - a visual model guide.

12346»

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

The sale gives this a Busato provenance sans label (probably due to the tuning machines and tailpiece among other things), but also mentions it could have been a Sonora (albeit w/o marque au fer). Either way, it seems to be in nice shape if the two top cracks really are stable. Player seems to have no problem playability-wise.

AndyWDoubleWhisky
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    edited March 9 Posts: 603

I'm not sure to whom we should attribute this old guitar, looks like some quality purfling & inlay work and a nice figured back.

French, 1950's and a "Sonora" marqué-au-fer on the headstock...

<edit> though it does share distinct similarities with M. Dregni's mystery Sonora, posted earlier in this thread:

BillDaCostaWilliamsDoubleWhiskyBucobillyshakesWillie
  • DoubleWhiskyDoubleWhisky Upper FranconiaNew Dupont MD60, 1940s Castelluccia
  • DoubleWhiskyDoubleWhisky Upper FranconiaNew Dupont MD60, 1940s Castelluccia
    edited March 9 Posts: 144

Edit: sorry for this second erratic post here, i blame it to my phone (or my clunky fingers?)

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

My recently acquired 1940s (?) Jose Sanchez (= early 'clef ' Sonora) has its new Schaller tuners and some fingerboard/frets work completed and is playing rather nicely.

[ I might do some more work to it, "later" ]

The score is currently France 2 😥, Italy 4 😀

DoubleWhiskyBucobillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsPJDJangle_Jamie
  • PJDPJD New
    edited May 10 Posts: 38

My luthier just finished the restauration of this guitar. This one has no label or "sonora" marque au fer but it probably is what Andy has named the "Hono" Sonora. 13 fret, lower bout of 41cm, the tailpiece and tuners are original to the guitar. Same headstock shape. The only difference I could find is the scale length, it is 680mm (not 685mm).

Struss rod installed, new ebony fretboard with new frets, new ebony bridge (bridge height is 20mm) with moustache, action 3mm at the low E string and 2,5mm at the high E string. New nut. Dent on the side of the guitar repaired and one small part of the top layer of the laminated back has been re-glued (there was a small part coming off near the heel). The arched top was still in good condition, i think due to the thick pointy braces underneath the top. It has 3 braces underneath the top. Braceless extremely arched back. Two new buttons on the Delaruelle tuners.

The restauration has really opened up the sound of the guitar. It has crispy highs and very nice deep basses, it is very very loud with a real big bark. Never thought it would sound this good after restauration, really really surprised in a good way and extremely happy with it!

billyshakesBucoWillieJangle_JamieBillDaCostaWilliamsAndyW
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

@AndyW Not sure where you found those photos of that Modele 43 above from March 9th. Was it an auction and, if so, do you know the final price? Looks like it turned up on Reverb for ~$1800 shipped.

https://reverb.com/item/82417990-1950-sonora-busato-model-43-grande-bouche-manouche-gypsy-jazz-guitar-selmer-django-cheap

DoubleWhiskyAndyW
    edited June 14 Posts: 603

@billyshakes yep, it was at auction in central France, but I didn't catch the final selling price. I pointed it out to one of the European dealers (but not the guy that's now reselling it ) in a Facebook conversation after it had failed to make its (low) reserve in an earlier sale.

I agree with the seller, it's probably made by Busato.

billyshakes
  • leinadfrleinadfr New

Jose Sanchez is the name used by Jacobacci for contract with french dealer.