DjangoBooks.com

Gi bill to study gypsy jazz?

kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 421

Are there any universities that have a serious gypsy jazz guitarist on their faculty? I ended up with the post 911 gi bill, non-transferable so I gotta use it of course :o). I know there are no gypsy jazz programs per se but maybe one of these universities has a jazz studies faculty member that is also into gypsy jazz. I am older and will already have a few mm degrees so I think programs like Berklee are out.

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023 Posts: 872

You might want to try Joe Jewell, I think he retired but he might know someone.

that said I highly doubt you will find a professor who has truly immersed himself into this genre as they have to serve the general guitar student. My guess is you are unlikely to find a professor who wouldn’t benefit taking lessons from you in Gypsy Jazz. I know the professor here at UCSB dabbles in it but again immersion is necessary as you probably already realize.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

You might consider looking for overseas schools in Netherlands, Germany, or France that might offer Romani Studies or a similar degree path? You might be able to use some of the immersion towards a degree program? Just an outside thought. There is a link for pre-approved schools in this article.

• kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭

Ah - I like your indirect outside the box approach. I have 2 young kids now though so younger me would have been on the plane in a second but old responsible me is nationally adventurous but not internationally.

I wonder if the gi bill would cover DC music school. . . Let's help Denis get accredited!

Bucolittlemark
  • RipRip olympia, washingtonNew
  • flacoflaco Shelley Park #151, AJL Quiet and Portable

You might look at East Tennessee State and South Plains College in Texas. Both have acoustic music programs that won’t be gypsy jazz immersion, but you can probably get some education that is applicable.

kungfumonk007

That is an idea. I did find Purchase College would let me study gypsy jazz in my privates with Doug Munro but I ALSO would have to do bebop and modern and frankly I would rather jam scissors in my ears.

littlemarkBillDaCostaWilliamsDoubleWhisky
  • DoubleWhiskyDoubleWhisky Upper FranconiaNew Dupont MD60, 1940s Castelluccia

Not a teacher but for some money i could help you with the scissors idea, although I normally prefer other kinds of jams.

On a serious note, i know you wrote that Berklee might be difficult, but maybe it's worth a try: https://college.berklee.edu/courses/enjz-227

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@kungfumonk007 - I would seriously consider Purchase - proximity to a lot of great players; and Doug is a fantastic musician. Their program is strong, and varied - so you would have to cover some more modern ideas, but pretty easy to direct your concepts to just Django or Swing. You could dm the legendary Ted G - as he has done this program.

Tough thing to find at the uni-level actually.

Let us know if you find anything out!