DjangoBooks.com

Best lightweight amp for acoustic bass…?

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• DoubleWhiskyDoubleWhisky Upper FranconiaNew Dupont MD60, 1940s Castelluccia
    edited August 2023 Posts: 139

Our upright bass man uses a Eich BC112Pro Bass Combo and he usually gets compliments from the sound guys. I guess this counts as light weight.

P.S.: it weighs 14.1 kg

I used the MarkBass AC 101 and 121 combos. Both very good two channel amps.

The GK mb150 was the industry standard for upright.

Both amps amps are discontinued but there are a million GK combos out there.

Look at the Phil Jones bass combos out host is selling. Tiny but mighty giants

MichaelHorowitz
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Thanks, everyone!

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

I found the Phil Jones stuff couldn't handle slapping. But if you don't slap the bass, no worries.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

No Slapp??!! I'm sure somewhere on the internet, Davie504 is crying. Not epico.

Buco
  • JasonSJasonS New

How light do you need it to be? What's your budget? How loud do you need it to be?

Lots of options on the market. GR Bass and Barefaced are going to be the lightest/loudest available but they are expensive and can be hard to come by in North America. Phil Jones stuff is solid but not as light as you might think. Any of the little micro Class D amps paired with a 30lb 1x12 would cover most jazz gigs.

littlemark

Bass Cub (100W) is 15lbs, Bass Cub Pro (120W) is 16lbs.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

My buddy is a live sound engineer and bass player and says the best bass amps are PA speakers. He uses a QSC K8.2 (27 lbs), and has even used my Bose S1 Pro (15 lbs) for smaller gigs.

I don't know if I fully agree, but if you're just trying to reinforce the sound of your instrument, they're not bad! The S1 pro also has a backpack you can pay extra for that makes lugging it around easier.

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

both myself and the bassist I play with the most use various acoustic image products - the 'hat box' seems to work pretty well: https://www.acousticimg.com/product/clarussl paired with this: https://www.acousticimg.com/product/upshot total wieght is 13.6 lbs. has a backpack for this deal too. (I am tempted to upgrade to this at some point)

Me, I use an antique (by acoustic image standards lol) Coda but that is not what you want to call light at 33lbs-ish.

B