DjangoBooks.com

Using a column PA System for amplification (Electro-Voice Evolve 50M)

If anyone is looking for a solution to amplify a whole band and you don't want to bring separate amps, I would recommend the Electro-Voice Evolve 50M.

I have used it in both of the groups I play in and they work great for a wide variety of situations (corner of a coffee shop, outdoor patio, on a pontoon in the middle of a lake among others).

I am using it in the video below with a DPA straight into the unit (two of the inputs have phantom power). The bass and violin are also plugged into the unit.

You can control the unit using an app on a smartphone or tablet.

Makes setup for a show really quick and easy. You can save presets on the app and load them up. We have an indoor and an outdoor preset. Our setup and soundcheck has now been cut down to just 10-15 minutes.

I have used it for over 20 shows now and it was well worth the investment.

rudolfochristDoubleWhiskyJSantaRipBillDaCostaWilliams

Comments

• DoubleWhiskyDoubleWhisky Upper FranconiaNew Dupont MD60, 1940s Castelluccia

Sounds good! But i can't see it on the video, did you place it in front of you?

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

It is to the right of me. The video was capture with my phone using a Shure mic.

Here is the set up

billyshakesDoubleWhisky
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

Thanks Geese, I’ve been thinking about a similar set up with my DPA, my DPA just doesn’t sound good through my Aer amp, and I’m looking for a different solution.

I was kind of eyeing the EV evolve 20 (also battery powered) but think I might be underwhelmed by it sound. The 50 looks sweet

The 50M is great. It costs a lot, but it is quite handy. We get complemented on the sound every gig we play. The bass thump and tone on upright is surprisingly very good. The dispersion from the tower is great for the audience as well since it is a wide sound dispersion and is not directional.

For some gigs when we need even more power, we hook up to two powered speakers and that is more than enough for most situations.

Do you ever miss having monitors or is the dispersion good enought to hear it onstage? We have a nice setup with powered mains, mixer etc but only really bust it out for nicer gigs. Seems like you could use the EV 50 for almost all gigs and get a more acoustic sound. As long as the DPA's don't feed back too bad in a smaller bar setting.

The dispersion is good enough that you can hear it on stage.

It resists feedback pretty well. As you can see, I am right next to it with the DPA.

With the 50M, you can leave the powered mains and mixer at home and just bring the unit and an iPad/smartphone.

Why didn't you get it in white?

I figured white would get dirtier and marked up easier than black.

Hey Geese, are you plugging the DPA directly into the EV50 without the need of additional phantom power supply?

According to some research I've done the EV supplies 15v but I know the DPA would like to see 48v.

Basically asking if the DPA does fine with the 15v phantom power?

Yes. Straight into the EV without extra phantom power supply