DjangoBooks.com

Need some info about a guitar...

4everfree4everfree Norn IronNew Gypsy Guitar :)
edited September 2023 in FAQ Posts: 20

Hi Everybody,

Im new here and this is my first post. Im from N. Ireland (UK so far) but originally from Poland.

Purchased Beatufil Altamira Gypsy Jazz guitar but can't find any info on the web...

It was made by ???????? , has Gallato Logo and has all 1939 Selmer features EXCEPT cheapo tuners... and tailpiece...

A walnut neck is ONE piece.

What is that?

The dodgy bridge has been fixed and a few other issues.

Thanks in advance!

Tomas

Comments

• 4everfree4everfree Norn IronNew Gypsy Guitar :)
    edited September 2023 Posts: 20

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

What's happening with the bridge - it looks to be set at an odd angle. I have never heard of Altamira building for Gallato nor vice versa, so I don't know why it would have a Gallato name on the headstock and an Altamira label - of sorts - inside. All Altamira labels I've seen have the words Hanson Luthiier where yours says Maccaferi Luthier. As far as the tailpiece goes it looks like a Chinese one from Ebay, however I think these are actually better than the usual ones on just about every other brand of gypsy guitar. The Chinese tailpieces are thicker and stronger than the others and I usually install one of these on any guitars I get. The important thing is how does it play and sound.

always learning

Thank You for the input!

So far You just confirmed what I know... Its one of its kind in the end...

The funny thing is that this is supposed to be an M10 model - higher-end and has cheap tuners and a Chinese Tailpiece.

But the tuners are decent quality...

Emailed Altamira about this but Im not expecting any response...

Found similar guitars here:

https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/gallato-angelo-debarre-2

and:

https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/gallato-angelo-debarre

The bridge was a ONE piece and now it is fixed and set with 2.5mm action over XII fret

The tailpiece is UGLY but solid and the guitar sounds GREAT to my rather beginner`s ears. I play guitar for years but Im new to Gypsy Jazz

I really like that walnut neck and walnut binding.

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others
    edited September 2023 Posts: 188

Hmmm, interesting! The cutaway is not perpendicular to the neck, but more reminds me of a Richwood/SX. The back and sides look like dark stained mahogany, not rosewood. The heel looks like a Richwood. The top looks very flat. The bridge and moustachios are one piece (unusual but easily fixed with a Japanese saw!). The neck is not walnut like Gallato uses. Maybe someone else here can shed some light on it! How does it sound?

• TheGarethJonesTheGarethJones Boston/ParisNew Altamira M30, Gitane D-370

I don’t think there’s anything beyond someone taking the neck of the AD Gallato model and putting it on an m10 body. Though, @crookedpinky ’s comment about the label is an invitation for people that know more about guitars to investigate if it’s a mashup with an altamira or a fake label or or or or…

Looking forward to hearing more about this!

The neck is WALNUT and the back and sides are Rosewood...

Im not an expert but Im within the guitar world since 1991

How will you fake The logo and what for?

Its looks like this one from 2004:

https://www.djangobooks.com/media/ecom/prodlg/gallato-angelo-debarre-headstock.jpg

Actually, on mine, it looks a bit better...

Will record some "samples" tomorrow...

• krzyskrzys New

It looks a lot like an Aiersi product. Just Chinese factories up to tricks again.

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others
    edited September 2023 Posts: 188

Ok, thanks for the extra images - I can now see that it is indeed a walnut neck. I wonder if Serge Gallato might see this post.

Where did you buy it?

4everfree

Reverb UK... Sent an email to the seller asking for more details...

I like this guitar but if its fake shall pay far less...

Jangle_Jamie