DjangoBooks.com

Need some info about a guitar...

Comments

• 4everfree4everfree Norn IronNew Gypsy Guitar :)
    edited September 2023 Posts: 21

Images updated... see post #1

Seller replied...

He got it from Reverb UK:

It used to have a "better" tailpiece...

In the listing, you can see correspondence between the 1st seller and Michael Horowitz...

Jangle_Jamie
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

Interesting responses. I still think the tailpiece is fine although the wooden insert looks as rough it should be pushed further up, it seems to sit to close to the bottom edge of the guitar. Normally you'd see a bit of the leather underneath. The tuners look like others I've seen on Alramiras. The nut/string guide looks like the one on the Gallato pictures.

It would seem that Altamira did make guitars for Gallato so maybe that explains the label. I have to say I think it looks like a well made guitar, not a Chinese or Aersi cheapo. I love the woods and in particular the binding and the top which looks like a nice bit of spruce.

I see you're based in Northern Ireland, do you ever get to Manouche jam sessions at the Sunflower in Belfast?

Jangle_Jamie4everfree
    always learning

The insert won't go up... the design won't allow it....

There was an ugly black felt. I put grey real leather under it.

I haven't been yet to see the band. I know well one of it`s members as he is a Pole too. Belfast is a bit too far and having small kids and no family does not help Plus who likes Gypsy Jazz? 😀 Nobody will go with me...

Some (really sloppy) sound samples...

No EQ, No compression, Small chamber Verb at 8%

https://on.soundcloud.com/BjZcw

Jangle_JamieBillDaCostaWilliams
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

That sounds beautiful. Thanks for posting.

4everfree
    always learning

You are very kind ☺️

I think it would in the hands of a real player... 👍️

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

It does sound good indeed! It's a keeper!

4everfree

Thank You all for the input!

Just realized that Altamira started doing Gypsy Guitars in 2007 so mine is the first issue and rather rare to be Debarre signature. Makes it unique and a keeper... That walnut neck is mega comfy.

However... I made it playable. Uncut, too low, unglued bridge. Fret leveling and polishing. Bridge reshaping - all paid off!

Cheers,

Tomas

Jangle_Jamie

Hi

Small update. I could not look at that Chinese GOLD/brand new-looking tailpiece and put one that I aged with vinegar

and now it looks as should plus... Gallato 2004 models had the same tailpiece installed too...

https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/gallato-angelo-debarre

Jangle_Jamie
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I remember reading a book about 20 years ago about Civil War reenactors. They would put their reproduction brass buttons in urine to strip the shine off of them and age them. I suppose it does a similar thing chemically to what you've done with the vinegar (uric acid vs. acetic acid), but I think I'd much rather handle vinegar over piss! 😂

BucoJangle_Jamie4everfree