DjangoBooks.com

New album announcement: Melodic Guitar Music

2»

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso

An update here — this Thursday, I'm doing a livestream interview/Q&A with Make Weird Music to chat about the album. Would be nice to see some familiar DjangoBooks faces there. :)

Adrian

DoubleWhiskylittlemarkBillDaCostaWilliamsMichaelHorowitzbillyshakesBuco
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    edited October 2023 Posts: 636

👋👋

Great interview!

Would never have guessed Roy Orbison as an influence.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

"A '60s Pop album with Gypsy Jazz instrumentation."

Ever since I've heard this album, I felt some sort of resemblance to old Mason Williams or Dan Hicks albums. To Jerry Reed or perhaps Chet Atkins but also some of that Beatles influence. If my kid would have played this to me, I would have said "if you like this, you should dig into that" sort of thing. I've been meaning to go back to those albums to see if there is a reference there, but it is really just the vibe. So to hear Adrian say that line was really the validation of my feelings/intuition on it.

Also agree with the interviewer that it is over before you know it. Unlike some instrumental music, there are really strong melodies here that I'll find myself singing or humming later in the day that just stick in your head. Very nicely done and I look forward to #2!

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso

Thanks for watching. :) Yes, Roy Orbison!! His late '50s / early '60s tunes are so accessible and seem simple, but when you sit down and try to learn them you realize so much interesting stuff is going on. Plus his unbridled, relentless emotion, I can't get enough of it. "In Dreams," "Falling," "Running Scared," "Crying" are all examples.

The thing that Roy Orbison and Django have in common is their total commitment to intense, pure emotion in their music. They don't hold back. That takes a lot of courage, to let people see that part of you.

Thanks for the heads up on Mason Williams and Dan Hicks. I only know "Classical Gas" but will listen to some more...

Adrian

billyshakes

Ah, I forgot about the live stream. Just listened to it. Very cool conversation.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel