DjangoBooks.com

Luthier Marcello Quinteros (Buenos Aires)?

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

The Centura was the first of the "Blue Guitars" if I'm not mistaken. Neat guitar. I think Jimmy's death inspired Scott Chinery to have a bunch of different luthiers provide their take on the large archtop. Are you goint to do similar bridge and pickguard accoutrements? I seem to recall the bridge had a wood shim method for raising the action such that only wood would vibrate on the top.

Looking forward to pictures. Also, will you make yours blue? ha ha

• paulmcevoy75paulmcevoy75 Portland, MaineNew

yeah I don't think it was the first Centura but it was the inspiration. I got to play that Blue guitar at the Fretboard summit last year. I saw the blond one that John Monteleone finished at the guitar exhibit that was at the MFA in Boston in like 1999...it really stuck with me.

Some sort of Django bridge, likely no pickguard, not sure about the tailpiece as of yet.

It's going to be blond, it will have a Selmerish headstock, adjustable neck, cored sides. Beautiful maple set I have picked out.

We will see...more experimenting. But I find that guitars tend to sound, at worst, like guitars, so I think it will be cool.

My guitars have adjustable necks so your bridge is guaranteed to be at the right height...there's no need for an adjustable bridge.

murrayatuptowngallerBucobillyshakes
  • murrayatuptowngallermurrayatuptowngaller Holland, MINew Quinteros 2023 Di Mauro Chorus variant, Gibson 1956 ES-135, The Loar LH350VS

Thanks for all the feedback.

I DID email a address on G. Bergara's website, but didn't hear back. If I didn't say so already, my middle initial is T.M.I.

• murrayatuptowngallermurrayatuptowngaller Holland, MINew Quinteros 2023 Di Mauro Chorus variant, Gibson 1956 ES-135, The Loar LH350VS

"AN address"

edited February 8 Posts: 49

Another Quinteros build...

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Murray,

Looks great! I love those DiMauro diamond style fret markers. I recently bought an F-hole and have been enjoying the heck out of it. Hope you get the same from yours.

Congratulations! Let us know how it works out.

Thank you Billy & Stromboli.

Another DiMauro influence?

That's good to know...gives me more confidence, or at least a warm, fuzzy feeling the builder did his due diligence.

I'm easily amused but have been frequently diverted away from learning guitar over 4 decades. I am retiring very soon, so I intend to put some serious effort in. My chops (or absence of) will, honestly, be a bigger concern for a long time for me than how this compares to other instruments.

I think I will follow the tradition of playing in a seated position and not put a strap on it. That might encourage more attention on posture & position.

I was worried about the 670 mm scale, but a friend said 'Cool, just like a classical guitar'. I admit I did not know that, but it makes me realize it's normal and not as strange as I ignorantly thought.

I have a long path ahead of me.

Murray

BillDaCostaWilliamsBuco

The top wood on it looks so nice. You won't have a problem with the scale. If people want/need to "scale down" it's usually related to an underlying condition. Classicals are usually built at 650 mm I thought. But either way, plenty of people with small, smallish hands are happily strumming away on 670 mm scale. Good luck!

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel