DjangoBooks.com

Di Mauro Boogie Woogie

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Q: How many guitars does a guitar player need?

A: Just one more!

Jangle_JamieBuco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

Nice guitar! curious to know how crazy the insides were - I'd at least remove all the large gunk inside the guitar . . .

Regarding the tailpiece, you can string this with loops (not sure how well it't work, but . . ) by looping the string though the loop around the tailpiece. Personally I'd put the loop under the tailpiece to increase break angles to the bridge if I had to do that. Or just swap the tailpiece out . . . lol.

Can't wait to hear this thing go!

Enjoy it!

Jangle_Jamie
  • Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Thanks. I have a set of cheaper Galli ball end gypsy strings that will go on for now to properly check the sound. There are two old spiders inside, plenty of dust and fluff too! That water damage doesn't bother me, though it's a shame there's damage to the purfling/binding around that edge. It's solid though.

billyshakesBucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

It might be possible to plane or sand the existing fingerboard, if it's thick enough, then recut / deepen the slots and refret from there. A lot less work than a new fingerboard. Looks like a nice guitar, maybe you can share a video when its sorted. -A-

Jangle_JamieBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesDoubleWhisky
  • Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Ok, John le Voi has agreed to plane and re-fret the fingerboard, which I think is worth doing, though the additional cost is making this a more expensive purchase than I first imagined. The DR tailpiece doesn't give a good enough break angle so the old tailpiece is going back on, sorry Willie!

I noodled a bit on the guitar just now -

BucoPJDWillieDoubleWhiskyBillDaCostaWilliams
  • DoubleWhiskyDoubleWhisky Upper FranconiaNew Dupont MD60, 1940s Castelluccia

Nice playing and the Di Mauro sounds beautiful and mature, and what a growl!

• WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited February 24 Posts: 829

What a beautiful and big sound! (And nice noodling.)

As the neck joint allows good access to higher notes, and the guitar seems to have a loud voice if necessary, it should master every situation from unaccompanied playing to rhythm to soloing.

• WillieWillie HamburgNew

... and as far as the tailpiece is concerned, I'l be sighing for a while, and then I'll raise my head and bare this blow of fate like a man.

DoubleWhiskyJangle_JamieBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakes

Thanks! The 11.2 fret join throws me completely, and there are no position markers on the side. Normally I'd put a 5,7,10,12 and 15 in, but I'll wait until John sorts out the fingerboard. That probably won't be until the Summer.

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Sounds delightful!

Worth investing in to get it exactly how you want it, for sure.