DjangoBooks.com

New Builds for 2024

Comments

• paulmcevoy75paulmcevoy75 Portland, MaineNew

Josh's guitars are awesome. I have learned a lot from him. He's a great guy also.

Basically I think acoustic guitars are pretty lightweight things, much lighter than electric guitars. I don't think you're going to notice 240g difference. I do use large blocks in my guitar for my adjustable neck joint, again though I think these add negligible weight. Or at least weight that you wouldn't really notice.

strombolimusik
  • GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28
    edited April 16 Posts: 121

Interesting thread on your different builds. Thanks for sharing as you go!

“I don't think you're going to notice 240g difference”. On this I disagree. Most people can feel an 8-ounce dif between instruments even if it’s “from-memory a/b”. Try to get the initial strung-up instrument under 1950g if you can, they jump way better as you get down around 1750g IMO (it’s not easy to do!)

I guess if that much weight bothers you it wouldn't be the guitar for you. 240g is like 2 packs of cards. I don't know, I had a standard construction guitar and then a structural side guitar that I built previously side by side, I never really perceived a weight difference, they sound very different but both great, I've had a lot of people play them and I've never heard anyone mention the weight.

But perhaps other people are more sensitive to that. These are not traditional Selmer copies, I'm not trying to make them like that.

• GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28

I hope to hear one someday!

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited April 17 Posts: 1,459

My guitar is 1.65kg (~3.6 lb), so 240g increase would be almost 15% of that. Not insignificant, and certainly perceptible.

Yeah, maybe someone will notice a difference. I've had a lot of great players play my first structured side guitar which also has a massive neck block in it (for the adjustable neck) and I have never heard anyone comment that it felt heavy. It will not feel like a traditional Selmer guitar because it isn't that. In general people have loved the sound, it is a massively loud guitar with a peculiar room filling ability that I don't totally understand.

Additional weight comes from the large block for the adjustable neck. I am working on reducing the size of the block, the first guitar was pretty experimental, but it definitely adds a bit of weight.

I guess for me having action that's adjustable in seconds whenever you want it is worth what is a very small weight gain. Similarly the fact that the top and back rest on an absurdly stiff rim creating a more stable and long lasting guitar that offers a lot of tonal and volume opportunities is totally worth it. But if someone is looking for a super traditional guitar, there are other people doing that very well. I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy one of mine, if someone is into them I personally like them a lot and that's why I'm building them that way.

bbwood_98BillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakes
    edited April 17 Posts: 137

I just weighed the prototype guitar I have next to me at the moment. It weighs 2.1 kilos. The mug of tea I have next to me is 1.1 kilos. I don't perceive it as a heavy guitar, it definitely doesn't feel like it's going to levitate but it feels good in my lap and it sounds great and it's fun to play. I guess if someone percieves a difference and it is bothersome to them it would not be the guitar for them.

I would say that a desire for lightweight instruments might partially come from experience with factory instruments which are heavy in all regards. Heavy tops, thick finish, thick backs, etc. A lot to make the instrument more durable, less warranty repairs, less damage in shipping. That weight to me is all detrimental for playing. Perhaps we associate lightweight guitars with higher quality, it does take skill to make a guitar that's structurally sound but is featherweight.

With the structured sides and the neck block/adjustable neck, the weight is all upside. The guitar is potentially louder, it offers the opportunity to go with a slightly thinner top and the option to brace a little lighter. The guitar should never need a neck reset and the action is customizable to the player's preference, even at a whim. If you want to travel with the guitar you can pop the neck off in 1 minute and put it in a suitcase. Ultimately these things make a better guitar (in my opinion). Which is nothing against a traditional Selmer style guitar, I would love to have a nice one, I think they are beautiful and really respect the people that do that well and try to learn as much as I can from them. I'm just trying to be creative and see what is possible with the Selmer style instruments.

It is interesting to me that the Martin/Gibson style pin bridge steel string guitar has had every sort of variation in body style, construction, ornamentation, etc. Particularly with fingerstyle and "boutique" guitars. In the Selmer world though there is less of that. But I really like the possibilities that exist with the Selmer guitars and there's also an opportunity to do something different which is more difficult in the steel string world. A lot of stuff has already been done, 1 million times.

Sorry for the very long posts. Just my thoughts. I'd be interested in any opinions anyone has after trying one of these guitars, my only desire is to make them better. I'm very pleased with this batch though.

bbwood_98BillDaCostaWilliamsBucoWilliestrombolimusikbillyshakes
  • flacoflaco Shelley Park #151, AJL Quiet and Portable

The comment about Martin/Gibson guitars is different if you put it in the context of a genre, like bluegrass. People there are just as picky: it really needs to be a D-18 or D-28 traditional style guitar. There are a lot of modern builders, but the ones you see people playing at bluegrass jams and concerts stick to that traditional formula.

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@strombolimusik - Yeah - I'm good friends with Lisa L, and play rhythm for her often in NYC gigs - her Larkspur is just an amazing guitar.

strombolimusik
    edited June 15 Posts: 137

Hello all

I fell off the radar but I'm At DIJ with two great guitars. I have a big oval hole and a petite bouche. Both sound crazy good. I came ever so close to selling the big oval to a beloved well known guitar player here. It is loud AF and just sounds amazing. The Petite Bouche is also wonderful, a more traditional profile.

I am more than happy to let anyone play them. I'm in Chase 224. Text me 207-699-9526

Show price: $3500+tax this week only.

Jangle_Jamiebillyshakes