DjangoBooks.com

Mystery guitar!

Posted for sale in my general area.

Anyone want to take a shot?

Comments

• guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar

Busato ?

AndyWbillyshakeswimstrombolimusik
  • Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Can't help with the guitar, sorry. The bridge and tailpiece look like the cheap ones from China on Ebay (tailpiece not great, rosewood bridge actually pretty good for five quid!). Where abouts are you and how much are they asking?

Hey Jamie,

Yeah, it really doesn't have any signs of being anything "good" as far as I can see, but I'm far from an expert. It's priced at 350 Canadian and would require a 2.5 hour drive from Montreal. The owner seemingly knows nothing about the guitar, or manouche guitars, in general. This province is a tough place to be if you're looking for a bargain on anything, really. Overpriced goods, high import duties and the highest taxes in the country all contribute to this. The search continues!

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

If you're looking for something in that budget range, I'd keep an alert going for something from Cigano or Gitane. The Cigano's especially punch above their weight when they've been set-up well.

Martin Tremblay is in Montreal and Shelley Park is in Vancouver if you're looking for a Canadian luthier made instrument.

• krzyskrzys New

Low end Gallato?

• guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar

I live in Montreal and I saw the ad,

For 350 cnd I would not care who built it but I would check If it’s structurally sound.

Straight neck low action, and a nice bombe top.

Probably the best thing for someone who is starting in Gypsy Jazz.

As above. It doesn't get cheaper in this genre. Somebody cared enough to make a nice looking heel. That's a sign that it could very well be a decent playing guitar.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited March 7 Posts: 826

Talking about the heel: it reminds me of my Altamira's.

Could it be an Altamira? Body shape is rather different, I think

strombolimusik
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I mean, for CAD 350, unless it sounds like a tin whistle, it'd still be a good "couch guitar." Plus, if you really have to work to coax any tone out of it, your playing will be that much better if you get a nicer instrument. This all assuming you have the 350 to chance on it.