DjangoBooks.com

Recommended Fort Manouche Guitar

SchomiSchomi New
in Europe Posts: 5

Hello and thank for being in this forum.

I started to play guitar 30 years ago and this year I really got into gipsy jazz. Now I'm playing it with my archtop guitar but I think I have to get a real manouche guitar. I thought maybe am Altamira m01 or m01f or a gitane bit there are so many differences so it's hard to choose. Could someone give me a few recommendations for a good guitar fir maybe 1500 euros?

Thx a lot

Comments

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

Within that budget, you could probably get a Stringphonic Basic 503, which I think are miles ahead of what Altamira (and especially Gitane) produce. That being said, I've seen Paulus Schafer with a Gitane live, and no one was complaining about his tone. You can't go wrong with any of the Altamira' guitars. They are really well built and sound quite good. @geese_com is selling a couple of the Dell'Arte branded Stringphonic guitars that are well within your budget. Personally I'd go for something like that over other "budget" options.

billyshakesJangle_JamieBillDaCostaWilliams
  • luckylucky New

I've never played a guitar in this genre that I didn't think was worth the money - except, ironically, for original Selmer's where you are mostly paying for scarcity and the Django connection - so you're on safe ground whatever you go for in your budget. The things that make a difference come down to personal preference - whether you find a thick or thin neck more comfortable, whether you prefer a vintage or modern tone, etc. You can't go wrong with Altamira or Gitane, but most people prefer Altamira (but not me, I always think Gitane are underrated).

BucoJangle_Jamie
  • Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others
  • Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

ah yes, and the same seller has an Alves de Puga D hole for 950 euros - great for a handmade guitar. I have an Alves de Puga nylon string D hole and it's great!

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Speaking of guitars around this price range, I was going to mention JWC as a luthier-built guitar in this range. He's got a black Favino for 1750 Euros for sale on his website.

Anyone know how Tony Walker is doing? I bought a guitar from him about 2 years ago and, when we spoke, he seemed to be ready for retirement. Seems his old UK website is down now and Jeongwoo is selling all instruments from his Korea site. I tried e-mailing Tony, but the e-mail bounced. Hope he is well.

BucoJangle_Jamie
  • SchomiSchomi New

Hello and thank you all very much for your advices

@Jsanta i had at first an eye on the Altamira m01 antique. Now i think that a few hundred Euros more would reult in a sigificantly better guitar. Is the difference in the qualitiy so big between a 1e00 euro and a 1600 euro guitar?

@Jangle_Jamie Thanky for the link i will definitely try this one out and its already in my hometown .-) HAs someone experience with a Geronimo Mateos Audrey guitar?

@billyshakes ill check this one out

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

In my experience, the difference between a luthier built instrument like the ones I mentioned and the offerings from Altamira is that the former are often more "authentic" sounding. Drier with a better bite and a la pompe that cuts. I had an Eastman DM1 some time ago, and the difference between that and the Stringphonics were night and day. To be fair, the Eastman and Altamira guitars were built exceptionally well, and do sound good (and in the hands of a great player, exceed anything I could do on even a Selmer), but they don't really compare to even an entry level instrument from an established luthier or shop like Stringphonic.

• SchomiSchomi New

Today I'll try one Altamira m01 for 600 Euros and a Geronimo Mateus Audrey for 1400. I excited to see the difference between the two.

billyshakesJangle_Jamie

Don't forget to haggle!! You can always get the price down a bit, and the seller will be pleased he doesn't have to package it and send it if you take it away.

Buco
  • SchomiSchomi New

Yeah thx. I'll try;). Does someone got experience with a Geronimo Mateus Audrey ? Couldn't find a lot of information about it?