DjangoBooks.com

Recommended Fort Manouche Guitar

2»

Comments

Just generally speaking, they're well regarded guitars. There are lots of videos if you search the model name where you get a sense of the sound.

I'm curious about what you think about the differences between the two, especially for how they relate price wise.

There's been discussions about the Audrey model on the forum before

strombolimusik
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • SchomiSchomi New

Yes you're right. What should I expect with that price difference. I thought cause of the good reviews of the Altamira the 800 more for the Mateo couldn't be worth it. So I was curious how big the difference of quality would be.

I personally didn't spend any time with either model. I never played a Mateos. I played a few Altamiras and they were very good. One that was F hole model was so good that I commented why would you ever spend money on a high priced guitar.

Look at both, see what shape they're in, are they well set up and comfortable to play, do you prefer the sound of either etc...it doesn't matter that you don't have a lot of experience in the genre. What matters is that you like the sound coming out of it every time you pick it up.

As @Jangle_Jamie said, offer less, worst case is they say no. They're both reasonably priced though, especially the Altamira.

billyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

The thing I like about your price point is that you are finding guitars that are decent that you will be able to continue to play but shouldn't really hinder your ability to advance in playing. Once you start playing enough and with others, you may learn more about what sound you like or want to hear in your own playing. When you achieve that level, then you'll know what you want from any more expensive guitar. Or, you might decide that (as Buco mentions above), you get at or near that playability with the current instrument and the upgrade to the higher priced instrument isn't worth the incremental improvement. If you do decide to upgrade, you may still have that same early instrument to leave by the couch or take outside in conditions where you don't want to take a more expensive instrument.

Buco

Unless it's got some issues, $600 for the Altamira seems like a no brainer

billyshakes
  • paulmcevoy75paulmcevoy75 Portland, MaineNew

I've never measured the top on a factory guitar but I have heard (and it makes sense) that factory guitars are generally built pretty heavy, not heavy enough that they don't "sound good" but the tops are thick enough that they can survive a few humidity changes and the trauma of being shipped around the world.

A luthier instrument can be built pretty thin, knowing that the person who pays a good bit of $$$$ for it will hopefully take care of it, and/or if it does get a crack, someone will want to pay to fix it.

Again, I haven't done the measurements but it seems logical.

Buco
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

I think that is a generally fair assessment. The Eastman DM1 I had was very lightly built compared to the Altamira I had, but I found the Altamira a much better overall player. Neither of them sounded like what I think many of us expect from this style of instrument (wet, lacked punch, lack of overtones).

I do want to be clear, many of the instruments coming out of great shops like Eastman and Altamira are really fantastic for what you get. In some ways it goes back to budget and the needs of the player. If someone has a budget under a grand, they are still going to get an exceptional instrument. But luthier built guitars (again, a generalization) typically have a more authentic sound and feel. I'll never be snobby when a player shows up with a Gitane, Eastman, or Altamira. I'm honestly happy that there are accessible SelMac instruments available to players today in a variety of budgets. The more people learning about and playing this great music, the better. I have a few nice guitars, but I'm not a good player. No room to judge, just welcome players as they can join.

billyshakes
  • JasonSJasonS New

I have a Mateos Audrey and had an Altamira M01 in the past. There is no comparison between them, the Mateos is a better guitar in every way imaginable. I'd have no hesitation paying more for the Mateos.

Also keep in mind the Mateos should come w/ a pickup whereas you'll have to buy something for the Altamira. The Mateos pickup is really good IMO.

wimbillyshakes
  • paulmcevoy75paulmcevoy75 Portland, MaineNew

totally. I had a lower end Altamira for a while and it was great at the time. I'm glad I'm not playing it anymore that I usually have one of my own to play but it definitely was very adequate.

I think there's a million videos of OG Gypsy dudes killing it on cheap guitars so it's a luxury to have a nice one. But a nice one is nice.

billyshakesJSanta