DjangoBooks.com

New Gallato-I took the plunge!!!

Comments

• campfirecampfire New
    Thanks Phil, I'm sending the Schatten pickup to Alain today. He will ship me the guitar once they have installed the pickup and the new tuners. Probably the end of next week. (I'm being optimistic!) Glad to hear that you and Troy still love your Gallato's, it makes me feel more at ease.

Josh, sounds like your Patenotte is a very nice guitar. I have always wondered about them, but I've never played one. I think I was a little worried about the laminated top. Then again, I always thought an acoustic guitar had to have a solid back & sides to sound good, also! I will definitely check them out. Thanks!

Larry
    www.larrycamp.com (my personal jazz guitar website)
    www.impromptujazz.com (my gypsy-jazz website)
  • campfirecampfire New
    Troy and Phil. How do you amplify your Gallato's? What pickups or mics and what amplifiers do you use? Thanks.

Larry
    www.larrycamp.com (my personal jazz guitar website)
    www.impromptujazz.com (my gypsy-jazz website)
  • oscaroscar yesNew
    If I'm not mistaken the Patenotte 256 has a solid wood top and the 254 has the laminate top. I looked into Patenottes a while back and almost bought one. Great to hear that you like it Josh.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    The more I play this guitar the more I like it. After setting it up and tweaking the action and intonation the thing just signs. To night will be the true test. I have a jam in a loud pub so if I can hang volume wise with the other guitars and bass it will be perfect. I think it will because I was playing it at home and the people that were talking I could tell they were raising their voices to speak over the loud ass guitar! I love it! Also again the neck is like a vintage instrument in that it is heavy and thick with a slight radius. I can't say enough how much I like this guitar. To me it sounds and plays like a guitar that is two times the cost. I looked high and low on the internet to find info on the 256 but there is hardly anything out there. So if your looking and want to know more let me know and I'll talk all day about it with you! As for the wood... It has a solid top and sides and the back is laminated maple. The back and sides are highly figured and the finish on the entire guitar is super thin. It has a vintage look to it in that the finish work is rough so if your really in to looks then I would save for a Park or something that is gorgeous. If you don't mind a rougher looking guitar that plays like a dream and has a great gypsy sound then get one. It would make a great backup guitar for any one that has an expensive guitar that does not want to take it to jams or other places that would be a higher potential for scratches and bumps. If you are a first time buyer of a gypsy style instrument then go this rout over the Saga rout. You will be happy if you spend the time setting it up.

Cheers
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    campfire wrote:
    Troy and Phil. How do you amplify your Gallato's? What pickups or mics and what amplifiers do you use? Thanks.

Larry: in an effort to retain the wonderful acoustic sound of the Gallato, I use a small condenser mic, that clips to the sound hole, which connects to a Peavey amp, which is an old workhorse amp. I'm looking at upgrading my amp to a Roland AC30 or 60 or a Crate.

cheers

Phil
  • ClayClay Tulsa, OkNew
    Phil , where did you get this mic? is it similar to what bireli uses in his DVD? ive been interested in mics like these but have never seen them for sale anywhere.
    Clay wrote:
    Phil , where did you get this mic? is it similar to what bireli uses in his DVD? ive been interested in mics like these but have never seen them for sale anywhere.

The mic I use is an Audiotechnica AT831b...

http://www.elderly.com/search/elderly?t ... b&x=15&y=9
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I use the same mic. It is nice but I have problems with feed back. Phil what do you do when you have to play at a higher volume to combat feed back with this mic?

Josh
  • ClayClay Tulsa, OkNew
    i havent tried the mic yet (or bought it) , but mabye you could try what bireli does , use an external mic with the condensor and get a mix of things going on , so that mabye you dont have to turn the condensors volume up all the way and get feed back. give it a try at least , couldnt hurt.
    Josh Hegg wrote:
    Phil what do you do when you have to play at a higher volume to combat feed back with this mic?

Josh

Josh-

I used to have problems with feedback, but find that if I put the amp well behind me and to the side, it's less of a problem than if it's close by or in front of me. Plus where volume's concerned, I hand off to our competent lead player David with the huge sound of his Dell'Arte Hommage, which sounds like it's got a built in mic, already built into the woodwork!

Look forward to seeing your Patenotte...good luck

Phil