DjangoBooks.com

Lollo Meier Group - a technique PhD in just over a minute.

Comments

• nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    For sure Buco. As I said he may be trying to stretch out a bit these days, but really, yes, note for note. I don't see this as being so different from playing composed pieces, and I think it has brought him more success than improvsing with devices and tricks, as his composed lines are quite nice.
    vs https://www.amazon.com/Hondarribia-Lollo-Meier/dp/B0012O86B8/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1488587269&sr=8-10&keywords=lollo+meier

Here's a brief example. A live take of Daphne at le Quecembar and a sample of his solo off of amazon.com from the same tune, recorded at least a year before.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I have seen Lollo a few times and don't find him to be that repetitive. As Nick says some of it is about playing his own compositions so I don;t see a problem with that. His playing is still great and I think he is a vastly underrated composer in this style.
    always learning
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 4,732
    In my rock listening days, there was a number of composed solos from various bands that I loved to hear as written when watching the band live. I'd get super disappointed if guitarist would improvise a different solo during live show.
    So I don't mind, or wouldn't mind it in case of Lolo.
    Gotta admit that I was surprised to hear about it though.
    And I agree with others, he's a joy to listen to on his albums. Especially the one he did with Tcha, Rosas.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Yep Rosas is a cracking album.
    always learning
    I love Rosas, as well as Hondarrabia. Outside of Django and Fapy, those were my go to albums for years. Plus Rosas really introduced alot of people to Tcha's playing, so I'm forever grateful for that one.
    Buco
    Plachterida is another favourite.
    always learning
    edited March 2017 Posts: 274
    You know, Alan, Plachterida has some great Fapy compositions on it, but being that he is my hero, I was hoping for more depth in his solos. It seemed to me that he plays a bit more Stochelo style here, almost in response to the fad of overplaying, and steps away from his more melodic and Django style phrasing that he is the master of. I'll listen to all the Waso stuff, Hungaria, Star Eyes or Fleur D' Ennui constantly, but Plachterida doesn't seem to stand up to the others ( in my opinion of course). However, this is a Lollo thread, sorry to get off track.... Hope to see you this summer!
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    I still regard a concert with Lollo at the Ginguette pirate in Paris in 2005 as one of the best I have ever attended. He and the young clarinet player seemed to be on fire. And the rhythm section swinged hard. The audience was ecstatic. The whole place was jumping. At the end of the show I saw Moreno standing in the back of the room with a big grin on his face. What a concert!

I first noticed that Lollo plays rehearsed solos when I transcribed the waltz Hondarribia; the solo part seemed to be the same on the record as in the following live performance. Then I heard other stuff on Youtube where he also seemed to repeat himself. I haven't investigated to which extent he does this, though. Interesting if it's what he does always. Anyway, he is definitely one of my favourite players. I have the cd's mentioned in the previous posts and I always return to them.

t-bird
    Last example: same as " I love you" off Rosas...