DjangoBooks.com

Bass - gear thread

Comments

• TenorClefTenorClef UKNew
    Check out this acoustic bass guitar i've been told the Ernie Ball Earthwood acoustic bass guitars made in the 70's have a huge sound.
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500
  • wolftonewolftone New
    I use a Yamaha electric upright, its their second model in the series (I also used to own the first one, and it was crap). I can get a decent bass growl with it and a fair amount of clarity for a hollow stick. It packs up quick and slings over your shoulder.
  • kevbasskevbass SeattleNew
    My gear:

1920s carved German flatback
    Thomastik Superflexible strings
    French pernambuco bow
    Realist pickup
    Acoustic Image Clarus head (first series)
    Bag End 15" cabinet
    Acoustic Image Contra EX cabinet

I do a fair amount of arco soloing. The Superflexibles work very well on my bass for good thump on pizz and minimal scratchiness on arco. The Realist is also good for both, although the arco tends to be a bit lower in volume than the pizz.

The separate AI head/cabinet has been very useful. I use the Bag End for larger rooms and with my electric, and the small, light AI cab for everything else. I could even use both cabs at once, though I never had occasion to.

If I got a case of gear acquisition syndrome any time soon, the first thing I would do is to replace my single-channel amp with the Series III Clarus 2R head. There are so many occasions where I could use an extra channel. Then I would look into pickups and mics to try to get a stronger arco sound. The Fishman Full Circle pickup has been getting good reviews. I would also try out the Raezer's Edge bass cabinets.

I think the most important aspects of a piece of gear are for it to do its job, to be simple, and to be reliable. The less you have to worry about or tinker with it, the more time and effort you can put into your playing.

Regarding minimum cost for a double bass, I think $3000 is more in the ballpark for a bass that can be set up properly and won't cost you thousands of dollars in repairs from shoddy workmanship. These would either be plywood or hybrid (carved top/plywood back). There are several good Chinese makers, and old Kays (1940s) can be good too.

By the way, here's to hoping that rumors of the bass forum's demise are greatly exaggerated.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi everyone....welcome kevbass to the forum! He's the bass player for the Djangomatics, as well as a number of other Seattle Gypsy Jazz groups. At this point, he's probably one of the most experienced Gypsy Jazz bass players in the US. So I'm sure he could answer a lot of questions!

'm
    At this point, he's probably one of the most experienced Gypsy Jazz bass players in the US. So I'm sure he could answer a lot of questions!
    Flattery will get you everywhere, Michael!

I'm not sure that there really is such a thing as a Gypsy Jazz bass player in the U.S. But there are many of us who are enthusiastic about the music and are familiar with the standard repertoire.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I'm not sure that there really is such a thing as a Gypsy Jazz bass player in the U.S.

Well...we were talking about this the other night. Sometimes Kevin can't make the gig :( ...so we have to hire a more conventional bass player (i.e. used to play straight ahead stuff). The are usually competent, if not down right amazing. But they tend to play legato which doesn't work as well with Gypsy jazz. Kevin has the staccato drum like bass thing happening which is perfect for Gypsy jazz.

'm
  • CampusfiveCampusfive Los Angeles, CA✭✭✭✭
    I've found that telling guys to play like they have gut strings is sometimes helpful. OR easier, is just to ask if they use gut, then only hire them if they do.
    I view gut vs. steel more as a matter of personal preference and practicality. Gut strings are very expensive and go out of tune easily. Also, if you do any classical work, you'll need two quality basses: one strung with gut, the other with steel. Not everyone can afford that on a musician's budget.

Even though I don't use gut strings I think it's OK to insist on them if you really want that sound. Baroque orchestras demand that and sometimes a whole lot more. However, that's not always the case. I was hired to play with a well-known baroque group a while back. I told the contractor up front what my gear was -- he didn't care. I walked in to rehearsal with my steel strings, pickup, and bow quiver -- no one cared. I played the gigs and got nothing but positive comments from these fellas with their baroque violins and flutes and timpani. I think they were just happy to get a clear tone on the bottom end.
  • CampusfiveCampusfive Los Angeles, CA✭✭✭✭
    Saying that gut vs. steel is just a matter of personal preference and practicality underestimates how much a part they play. If you don't do the style that much, its not worth the investment or downsides. But if you're serious about the style, that's a different calculus.

I feel that this whole debate is really about another problem all together: modern jazz bass players who don't get playing stacato. Almost of the working jazz bass players spend 90% of their time playing "straight-ahead" legato bass - "do do do, da do." It requires constant attention to play "dunk dunk dunk dunk" all night instead. A modern jazz cat on gut isn't going to have much of a choice. I know there are people in the GJ world who are a lot less concerned with being so old school. But for the many that are going for an old school vibe might not think about this.

There's a bass player I know, who is fantastic. I used to hire him all the time. He eventually started using gut (or partially gut) and had a nice sounding pick up and small amp. He changed to a different amp, and I rarely hire him because even with the strings the amp gives way too much sustain, and he ends up laying back. People (including myself) very often react to the sound of their gear. I know I get more Charlie Christian style ideas when I plug in. If I play my archtop unplugged, I'll get more django-y ideas, and if I play my Le Voi, it's all django.

Form follows function. Gear influences sound but it also influences technique.
  • A.K. KibbenA.K. Kibben Tucson AZ USANew
    Hi everyone....welcome kevbass to the forum! He's the bass player for the Djangomatics, as well as a number of other Seattle Gypsy Jazz groups. At this point, he's probably one of the most experienced Gypsy Jazz bass players in the US. So I'm sure he could answer a lot of questions!

Michael, Ando, & kevbass...

I would love to hear kevbass performing. I didn't find anything on line in my brief online search about him. How long as he been performing GJ and who has he recorded with?
    I would like to mention my bass player, Evan Dain, in the Hot Club of Tucson who was one of the founding members of the Hot Club of San Francisco with Paul Mehling. He has recorded and performed (I think 3 CD's) in the early 90's with Paul and prior to that performed with Banu Bibson, Hal Smith and John Gil. Granted the later are not GJ. Paul resently asked me is Evan still playing Django's solo's on the Bass? Yes he is. Evan is a monster player. Not saying he's the best or more experienced, however a privealge to play with him. Plus he can arrange like nobody's business. Plays Guitar, Trombone, Tenor Banjo, and just bought a Piano!
    I play the upright also, and my gear includes a '72 Suzuki solid Spruce top which I removed and shaved the top back in '77. I have a Don Underwood pickup, Fishman preamp that I play through a vintage PolyTone MiniBrute... Oh yeah, TI Spirochore's... It growl's...
    Ando! I didn't really know you were a Bass player also when I met you last year in NOLA. Send me your snail mail address and I'll send you the Fake Book of Bass, along with 20 other Fake Books all on pdf files! That will keep you busy, as if you need it right now!
    Plus I'll send you our recent "Live CD". Congradulations on your third child!
    I missed Snug Harbor this last December 15th with Spencer. What's up with Tony also? Have you heard anything if and when he'll be back?

Best regards,

Allin

Sorry I haven't updated my web site in a year...
    Technically challenged and a computer crash....

Two Video's of Evan, one with Banu and one with HCoTucson...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NocFFszldQY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBrQjd8lOGs