DjangoBooks.com

Bass - gear thread

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Allin...you can hear kevbass (Kevin Stevens) playing in the clips below. He plays with a lot of the Seattle Gypsy bands...but does a lot of other stuff too like Balkan, Latin jazz, etc.
  • A.K. KibbenA.K. Kibben Tucson AZ USANew
    Thanks Michael and nice playing Kevin. Now who's on Rhythm and Lead Guitar? I have an idea of whom, however I don't get to hear you North Western performers often. Djangomatics?

Here's a couple of examples of Evan on bass with us, the HCoTucson...

BTW, He is playing my upright.

Happy Holidays!

Enjoy!

Allin
    aka
    A.K.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Nice playing Allin!

Yes...those clips are from the Djangomatics (I'm playing lead and Kevin Conner is on rhythm).

'm
    Michael,

Oh, your so good on rhythm! I, for one and many others, have learned a lot from your workshops, playing, website, publications and all that you have contributed to Gypsy Jazz.
    A special thanks.
    May you have a prosperous New Year!

P.S. Where in the Sam Hill is your GJ Rhythm Book!
    No reply necessary!
    Have a great holiday season with your family...Then back to work on releasing that book young man!

Best regards,

Allin
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I found a 1940's Czech bass in an antique furniture store years ago for about $600. :shock:

Lately, I use D'Addario Helicore strings (medium orchestra weight), Ary bow, Carlsson rosin, Realist pickup, Clarus Acoustic Image amp, and Ampeg Portabass cabinet. All in all, it's a pretty good rig for arco and pizz work.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    Allin and all,

Thanks for the well wishes! I'm glad kevbass is in the house (please take over!) because I've moved, taken a new job, travel, have a third kid, and need to kick back on this forum, as I've obviously already done. But as you can see, I keep reading and jumping in because I love this music. It's like family. I don't actually play upright -- though I will in the next few years. I've been buying my kids their first violins, cellos, and drums. They're Suzuki kids and doing great. I've been doing a lot of music, but mostly choral and composition. In the works are ten tunes for this style by Chopin, Poulenc, Shostakovich, et al. I really should transcribe more Nass lines for people, but my computer has been on the blink. "Soon," as they say.

Warm regards to all,
    A
    Hello Ando!
    I miss posting also...
    Too hard for this old man with work to maintain the band, hence we disbanded last May...
    Missed a trip to NOLA in December, however my son (Great drummer!) went to represent the "Family" to Snug Harbor and Tipitina's as well as The Spotted Cat and DBA.
    Hope your move went well and congratulations on your third!
    Kindest regards,
    Allin...

I've been working on my Triumph motorcycle a lot...
    You know, "More Horse Power" and get her ready for a 3200+ mile trip this summer...

Sorry, A little off topic...
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    Hey A.K,
    If that road trip is headin to Alaska, drop me a line. I live right at the start of the Alaska highway, we'll grab a coffee on yer' way through.
    A 2-3 week bike-trip would do me a world of good right now!!! A wad of cash, a BMW 1200GS Adventure, and no rain......ahh to dream!!! Mabey in a year or two.
    Really enjoyed the tunes too!!!
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
    Yes that trip is on my list...
    For now it's just through AZ, NM, CO, WY and my birth place SD on my Triumph Bonneville...
    But if I buy a HD in Anchorage they will fly me up to pick it up to ride the Alaskan Highway home!
    Pretty cool! 1200GS!
    pm me and I'll send you some links of long motorcycle adventures. One from Alaska all the way to Chili!
    Carry on mate!
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    Saweeeet...