DjangoBooks.com

Thumb Position

2»

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Ok, I am trying a little less thumb. Looking at Figure 1 in the book helps me to see what you are talking about. I am now modeling my left had position on that. The problem now is that within 5 minutes of trying to get it right, the area around my first finger and thumb hurts. Is this a sign that I am doing it wrong, or is it that I am just unpracticed?

My guess is that it will feel better overtime...but make sure not to strain anything!
    dlloyd wrote:
    I had some difficulty with the G7, but it's coming a bit easier now.

The Cm7 with the thumb barring the G and C, on the other hand...

That one's a beauty....you can also play it with just the G, and mute the C note on the A string.
  • Chris PetersonChris Peterson Santa Monica, CANew
    The help you guys gave last night was very helpful. Today I was able to play for about 20 minutes in thumb position. Every 5 minutes or so I did some major hand stretching exercises to relieve some minor pain, and that seemed to help out a lot. I imagine that I should be able to get to where I can play for a decent amount of time relatively quickly as long as I keep doing my stretches.
    Work on the <A HREF="http://www.petersonmusic.com/wiki">Gypsy Jazz Fake Book</A>.No finale experience necessary.
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    If I want to play a C6/9 at the 2nd fret (332233), would you use your thumb on the E and the A string or would you rather not use your thumb at all and grab them with your middle finger ?
    - JG
    Joli Gadjo wrote:
    If I want to play a C6/9 at the 2nd fret (332233), would you use your thumb on the E and the A string or would you rather not use your thumb at all and grab them with your middle finger ?

That is always played with a one finger double stop on E and A strings. The middle finger is used.
  • noizenoize Netherlands✭✭✭
    That one's a beauty....you can also play it with just the G, and mute the C note on the A string.

How does one exactly accomplish this double stop with the thumb?
    Do you reach over or not?

With every position I tried which sounded like my thumb is at least touching the A string, the neck just cuts in the side of my thumb, and it hurts like hell.
    It doesn't sound too bright either.

Note that I have no problem at all using my thumb one the E string.

Some kind of picture would be nice.
    I just reach over and grab both strings with the pad of my thumb.