DjangoBooks.com

Which pick?

I've been using Dunlop Big Stubby picks, and I want a 'proper' GJ pick. Which picks (that this site sells, preferrably) do you think are best? Would a JP Sarod pick work well enough, or would a Wegen be worth it at 5x the cost? If I were to get a Sarod pick, should I go for ebony or Rosewood? What other picks would be good? etc.

Would any of these more expensive picks be more suitable to the GJ technique, and give me a better tone, or are the big stubbies fine?

Comments

Initially, I was worried about the Wegens--the price, would I like them, etc.

Tried the Stubbies after I got the Wegens, but I didn't like them as much. The Sarod pick is cool, but not the same as the Wegen imo.

I really dig them. I even use them on my electrics!
    i've never tried a wegen, but i have had a number of sarod picks, namely a good camel bone one, and two very nice horn ones. they can get slippery, but other than that, they are fantastic picks.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    If you've never played a Wegen, it would probably be a good thing for you to get one. They're the "Honda Accord" of picks... they just play well and sound pretty darned good. The most valuable thing about a Wegen Gypsy pick is that they don't do anything "wrong" and so you will not develop bad habits. Playing a Wegen pick is a lot like Playing Argentine strings... you know they just work and so you can concentrate on other things. If you're a tone chaser... sure there are a lot of other picks with various flavors of sound that you may prefer - coconut - ultex - tagua - ebony etc... but the Wegens will get you through the gig.

If you're typically a thin pick guy - get the Gypsy 2.5, if you want "the" standard pick, it's the Gypsy 3.5

Look at it this way - if you're going to play this style, you'll eventually have one - if you get it early on - you'll have a meaningful standard to which you can compare other picks that you make/buy/borrow/trade in the future.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • riversaxriversax Oxfordshire, UK✭✭ Gitane DG255, Gretsch Jim Dandy
    Hi Jeremy

I have tried Wegen, coconut shell, horn and bone.

Wegen - good tone - a bit "ticky" sounding sometimes

Coconut - tone seems a little stronger/louder than the wegen

Bone bright but scratchy sounding - especially on lower (wound) strings

Horn - smooth feeling and mellow sound

My favourite is coconut, then horn and wegen joint second - but I don't think it makes too much difference.
    (IKBA though)

:-)

regards
    Roger
  • JeremyJeremy New
    I just ordered a Wegen Gypsy Jazz pick, anyone have any idea how long it will take to get to Toronto (Canada)?
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Good question - coming from Canada to America I've had things take from four to ten days ... no idea why such a difference - maybe the vagaries of customs.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • JeremyJeremy New
    I ordered it directly from Wegen, I kept getting an error when trying to buy it from Djangobooks, so it's coming from the Netherlands. I suppose it won't take too long, it's a small package and it's going by plane. Either way, my Big Stubbies will last me till then.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    What error were you getting? That's strange...

:(
    I had a problem like that once with Firefox ... had to tell the "Scripts" to allow the site! Happens even at other sites. I'll click ... and go wha? And then I click Scripts to allow x site and all is good.
  • JeremyJeremy New
    My Wegen came in the mail today - It's easily worth the $15, I'd pay $15 anyday for something that improves my playing and tone like this pick. The strings glide so smoothly off of the pick relative to my Dunlops - probably because the playing edges on my dunlops become rough after just a couple hours of playing. You can tell he tries out the picks before mailing them, mine already had black marks from the strings. Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase, and I'm going to be sticking with Wegens possibly forever - I've found a pick that works, I'm not going to bother spending my money searching for another one that might be better.

How long do you think the pick will last with 2-3 hours of use a day?