DjangoBooks.com

Question on pick angle, 'horizontal axis'.

124»

Comments

• vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
    a wrote:
    none of this makes any sense!!!

I agree. I'm tempted to get out my protractor and take it to p. 14 of the Gypsy Picking book. But I think we're over complicating it. I've looked at a lot of Stochello videos and it's clearly the first angle in diagram, with some slight angle in as in the second diagram because your hand hangs down at 45º.

Now if I can figure out why my guitar (DG-250) is producing weird sympathetic noises that only stop when I mute all the other strings, I'd be happy. That DG-330 is looking better every day...

V
    I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.
  • vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew

There are some excellent shots of his picking here.

V
    I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    vince wrote:
    But I think we're over complicating it.

I agree. I think that as non-gypsys it is tremendously useful to have a book like gypsy picking but once you have the basics of what michael teaches it is up to you to find a lot of stuff out by experimenting and finding what works best for you.

look at the various gypsy players, they all have there own variation of the technique. I don't think every aspect of this technique can be completely explained in words, you have to experiment.
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    Here are some shots of Jimmy rosenberg's pick grip. He is pointing the pick towards the neck of the guitar, almost completely. He's gripping the pick by it's corner. I think this is key to getting thick legato phrasing.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/