DjangoBooks.com

Django's Jazz innovations!

13»

Comments

• rob.cuellarirob.cuellari ✭✭✭✭
    i'm trying to get a feel of what kinds of jazz django played besides swing, or at least what aspects of his swing songs could also be considered other jazz genre's. i know that latin jazz could be considered with songs like bolero, but are there songs of his that could also be considered bebop, cool/3rd stream, avant garde, hard bop?

am dying for some examples of these? could anyone help!? :)
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    i'm curious to know if there have been any studies done in which the brains of different types of improvisors were measured with an EEG or something.

it would be interesting to see how much, and what kinds of thinking occurs.

sometimes it sounds like django's got 3-4 phrases that he's leaning on through out an entire solo. at other times, it sounds like he's so tapped into the music, that he's making up new phrases on the spot. and not just passive phrases, but phrases that present many simultaneous melodies or contradictory movements.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • rob.cuellarirob.cuellari ✭✭✭✭
    also did django ever use modes in his compositions? specifically prior to the 50's?