DjangoBooks.com

DG-255- IS IT WORTH IT?

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I knew I would get some one's goat! So now every one knows that you have to put some cash into most guitars when you get them. Thanks for all the great points. musicofanatic I put many hours into my guitars to get them to play the way I want. As I'm sure you know you can put weeks of tweaking before it is just right.

But I do think that most people learning this style play with their action way too low.

Cheers
  • valdaevaldae new orleansNew
    I'm not afraid of high action. From playing my Gretsch, especially after replacing the art deco rosewood bridge with a good ebony one, the voice of the guitar changed! With .013s it boomed, had great cut and articulation - not possible with low action [regardless of bridge material].

I have time to think about the purchase of the DG-255 and what it would entail. I have friends trying to talk me into saving longer for a better box and I may consider that. In the meanwhile, I have the method books to buy, as well as an instruction DVD here and there. Either way as is, I'm smitten with this genre of music, and of course, Django!
    "The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled." - Plutarch
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi, all.

Something I've wondered about regarding Gitanes is their astounding volume...over the years I've owned the 500, which I've still got, and a 250, which I sold. For me, the 250 was too loud; it seemed like the lightest touch still produced enough volume to drown out most other guitars. Now, if you were buying one as a lead player, this might not be so bad, but as a rhythm guitarist, it led to a lot of problems; varying the dynamics in my playing was suddenly much more difficult, if not near impossible. It seemed that often I was either drowning out the soloist, or, conversely, not able to give enough support. The 500 I haven't had any trouble with, but I wonder if anyone else has run into the same trouble with the longer scale models. (For what it's worth, the Jorgenson model seems much better-could the neck dimensions make the difference?) Just thought it was worth mentioning before money was spent by Valdae.

Best,
    Jack.
  • zavzav Geneve, SwissNew
    Hi, All!

I'm going to buy DG-255 also.

But, slightly changing the topik - what about 255 vs 250 ???? Is there any non-obvios differenses? In quality, etc?..
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Now, if you were buying one as a lead player, this might not be so bad, but as a rhythm guitarist, it led to a lot of problems; varying the dynamics in my playing was suddenly much more difficult, if not near impossible. It seemed that often I was either drowning out the soloist, or, conversely, not able to give enough support.

Dont forget that if you feel like you are too loud and drowning other people out then its probably because you are letting your chords ring out too much. Its not necessarily because you are hitting the strings too hard or that the guitar is louder than average. Try playing without sustaining your chords as much until you get more control of things.

Typically I will give my chords a little more fullness during the melodies but while improvisation is going on then I revert to shorter un-sustained chords usually. Dont take this as gospel because everyone has their own preferences on how they want to sound but you can just realize that ringing out chords can cause problems, especially in large group jams.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    djangology wrote:
    Now, if you were buying one as a lead player, this might not be so bad, but as a rhythm guitarist, it led to a lot of problems; varying the dynamics in my playing was suddenly much more difficult, if not near impossible. It seemed that often I was either drowning out the soloist, or, conversely, not able to give enough support.

Dont forget that if you feel like you are too loud and drowning other people out then its probably because you are letting your chords ring out too much. Its not necessarily because you are hitting the strings too hard or that the guitar is louder than average. Try playing without sustaining your chords as much until you get more control of things.

While I agree, wholeheartedly, about the evils of over-sustained chording, I don't think that was the trouble here (having never had trouble with the shorter scale D-hole, or any other guitar); it just seems to me that most of the Gitanes I've heard and played seem to have a natural volume to them that's really pronounced-they just sing out, and where really driving the rhythm on a Dell'Arte or something similar would be useful was far over the top on the Sagas. Just my ears, though.

Best,
    Jack.
  • musicofanaticmusicofanatic Swingville✭✭✭
    Zav asked about the differences between 250 and 255: I've not played a lot of these various models (no more than a half dozen), but I can't see any physical difference, other than the headstock design. Some say the more mass in the neck (as with a solid headstock), the bigger the sound. I have detected no marked difference. I bought a 255 because I was shopping for a 250 and found the 255 cheap. The only caution I would offer is beware the 250M. Many are attracted to the pretty curly maple, but it is a a very dense wood that characteristically imparts a bright tone. Every one I've heard sounded thin compared to the rosewood.
    chomp, chomp, chomp, chomp...
  • zavzav Geneve, SwissNew
    Thanks, musicofanatic!

So, as from construct (and comfort) point of view I like slotted headstock, I've finaly chosen 255. I think, I´ll order it in a month.
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Bob Holo wrote:
    Gitane Mods:
    3.) Fit the bridge to the top so you cant see any gap under any portion of where it meets the guitar - then shim the bridge to a height that works for you - use real hardwood shims that are close to the size of the footprint of the bridge

Bob, where does one get real hardwood shims? In my case, for a DG-250M.
  • musicofanaticmusicofanatic Swingville✭✭✭
    If you have a woodworking supply shop (i.e. Woodcraft, etc.) in your area, you can get various hardwoods in different dimensions. Some larger hobby shops, as well. Do you know any woodworkers? Good luck.
    chomp, chomp, chomp, chomp...