DjangoBooks.com

Tuning up gypsy style?

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    open strings, and yes upstrokes to catch both strings, they start from high to low, i dunno why they do it that way
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate all your help.
    -Harry
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    My classical teacher tuned that way.

I think that the note doesn't 'bloom' as much on the upstroke.
    thats been very interesting, great post! What was the classical way of tuning? because i don't think it was answered. i tune with a harmonica, then use harmonics but its pointless if your intonation is out.
    Ps the truss rod on the guitar, if you twist it one way what happens? like does it make the tension easier or tighter? this must olter tuning aswel. Cheers,
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    I personally use the seventh and fifth frets harmonics

Beware the 7th fret harmonic! You're not going to get a guitar in proper tune that way. The 7th fret harmonic is a pure 5th of the open string -- not an equal-tempered 5th. So if you tune the D string 7th fret harmonic to A, your open D will be a bit flat. Use 7th fret harmonics on the other strings, and you will just multiply the problem. Tuning by ear to a chord is also problematic for most -- some chord forms may sound very sweet, but some will sound awful.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    I think that is exactly what Joe was saying:
    joef wrote:
    If you use harmonics to tune, only the octave ( ie one or two octaves higher than the open string )ones are accurate. Use these and unisons eg get your top e string in tune and then play e's on all the others. Then check the octave harmonics on the open strings with fretted positions on other strings.

Wirralgitane you are really on a tear through all the old posts here and on hotclub - I remember when I had such enthusiasm!
  • Ken BloomKen Bloom Pilot Mountain, North CarolinaNew
    I Have found a tuning method that averages out the differences between temper tuned frets and the harmonics you get off the strings. First I tune my G to something. Then I compare the 12th fret harmonic to the 8th fret of the B string and the 3rd fret of the E string. With those three set I now compare the 12th fret harmonic of the D string to the 3rd fret of the G. then the octave harmonic of the A to the 2nd fret on the G string and finally the octave harmonic of the low E to the 2nd fret of the D string.
    By always comparing an harmonic to a fretted note I find that I average out the differences between the two systems.
    Each guitar I have then requires a tiny bit of tweaking for its own peculiarities but at least this gets me very close. It is much easier to hear higher notes for pitch than lower ones. Fewer harmonics to get in the way.
    Ken Bloom
    *nwilkins*
    Lol yes i hold my taped up fingers and give in. Im craving this GJ at the moment, its the biggest challenge i've had on the guitar. I can't qutie grasp the rest strok technique and/or theory and i do have alot of the books including gypsy picking (thanks michael) but i think i need to see GJ in person thats why i wanna go to samois.

Someones gota have enthusiasm, but the downside is i've asked that many questions i've forgot wher i posted them :?
    Oh well, i hope i'm not annoying those regulars but of course i am new, but make room i'll put a bit of Lennon in the swing :lol: i have a interview where django is speaking if anyone wants it, in french of course, just pm me if you want it.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Wirralgitane,

If you are not an experienced guitar tech, do not mess around with the truss rod or you can really do some serious damage to the neck. Take it to a repair professional. It won't cost much, if anything, for a truss rod adjustment.
  • badjazzbadjazz Maui, Hawaii USA✭✭✭ AJL
    Why not just use an electronic tuner? Unless I've played a guitar with screwed up intonation, that always has gotten me a good result. A friend of mine gave me this tuner, and it works great, has a light, doesn't get interfered with by the other sounds in the room, etc. I don't get to see a ton of 'authentic' gypsy players here in Honolulu, but pretty much every other guitar/bass player at every show that I've attended or gig that I've played has used an electronic tuner. They are simple, they get the guitar in tune, and they lessen the amount of time and distraction of musicians futzing with their tuning during shows. One thing I can't stand is sitting in the audience listening to the ping-ping of somebody tuning with harmonics for a minute between each song while never getting the guitar in tune. (I once attended a show where a mandolin player tried to tune with a tuning fork for like 20 minutes--annoying)