DjangoBooks.com

Tuning up gypsy style?

13»

Comments

• chip3174chip3174 New
    I turn on the TV, watch the Bernie Mac Show, get an "A" note from my handy dandy metronome, sip my coffee and twist the tuners as far as they go.

I call my wife and ask her if its in tune and if she says "Yes!" then I know I gotta go back and do it all over again.

Tuning is just a state of mind, it doesn't really matter... :D
  • cantzoncantzon Jeju Do, South KoreaNew
    Maybe it's different in the Gypsy world but I strongly suspect A440 is the same everywhere. You should tune the g string first and then work your way out both directions.

A question- Are any of these Gypsy guitars Feitenized? meaning a la Buzz Feiten's compensation?

It makes a huge difference.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Well...
    Although there's been lot of interesting responses and opinions to this topic, i feel some of them are missing the point.
    This was originally about the specific tuning method gypsies use and that was answered by Dennis a while ago...

Cantzon,
    I don't think any Selmer type guitar uses the Buzz Feiten tuning system.
    But you can have a bridge custom made with compensation to get closer to perfect intonation.

A 440 is the same anywhere, but due to speed variation on old recording machines and other factors, you'll have to tune up to other pitches (A445, A 435, etc) in order to match the recordings.
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    A 440 is the same anywhere, but due to speed variation on old recording machines and other factors, you'll have to tune up to other pitches (A445, A 435, etc) in order to match the recordings.

Nope.

Accordions are most often tuned to A 442, at least in Finland. I suspect it's the same in other parts of Europe as well. And since they can't be tuned on the spot, it's up for the stringed instruments to raise.
    Why you say "nope"??
    A 440 is the same anywhere, that's it's whole point.

However it's interesting to know about the accordions in Finland, that's what I meant when I said "other factors".
    I heard once that in Italy the musicians tune to 441 or 442.

A lot of Django's recordings are not in concert pitch due to the following reasons, i believe.
    -They didn't care
    -They didn't have a reference
    -They were at concert pitch originally but either the recording machine or one used later to masterise, mix, etc. the record either slowed down or speed up and thus changed the original pitch.
    -They tuned to something else than A 440

Which one is anybody's guess.
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    Why you say "nope"??
    A 440 is the same anywhere, that's it's whole point.

Tuning to a higher frequency is very common in Europe, especially in classical music. Most symphony orchestras tune into A 442, hence grand concert pianos are A 442. And the chain goes on, the accordion was jus one example.

If A is 442 then 440 is below A, that's why the "nope" for A 440 being the same everywhere.

For the record: I prefer A 440 in my guitars and always tune down after gigs.
    Oh...OK
    I get your point but then it's not that the 440 sounds different but rather the reference for "Concert pitch" changes to something else, Right?

Anyway it's nice to learn about the difference in pitch standards.
    And actually i've found many recordings of Django require me to adjust the tuning of my guitar to 442!
    So he might have tuned higher regularly and it's not always because of the recording equipment as I had assumed...
    Thanks Kimmo.