DjangoBooks.com

Sebastien Giniaux Trio in San Francisco!

Comments

• aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    :)
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    I love the way Giniaux handles a slow song - he has a LOT of feel - particularly for a young player. The guys on either side of him are pretty good too ;-)

haha.

No weak links in this jam. YouTube is such a wonderful thing - there is no other way we could be a "fly on the wall" when these things happen. It's good PR for the bands, it's amazing for the fans. People in general seem to be pretty respectful about videos too - I didn't see a lot of cameras shoved in faces - just the usual autographed guitars and such, and even then it was pretty low-key and the artists seemed fine with it - and I think they expect a little of that.

All in all - It was a great show. Barring unforeseen circumstances you can bet I'll be coming back next year.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    Is that one of yours Seb is playing there Bob?
    Yep, that's the one I made for Mathieu. It's the 3rd generation of that design he's been giving feedback on and he said: "OK man, you got the tone - this is it." So I guess it's officially a final design. (Wahoo!!) And he insisted on paying. When you think about how that stuff usually happens, it reveals that he is not only a h* of a good player, but a h* of a good person. Those guys are ambassadors - they come here from 12,000 miles away - toss jetlag aside and blow the top off the concert hall and then they are some of the the first guys in the jam circle over at the Edgecliff encouraging players of all levels of expertise.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Thanks for that video, amazing!

Bob, your guitar sounds incredible!

Vic, I'm getting one myself too, thanks for asking Mathieu.

Hey anybody else notice the amount of downstrokes Seb does? and he seems to use a lower wrist as well.
    He's one of my heroes... from having the pleasure of meeting him I can say he's a real artist and good person too, tough a bit difficult to approach at first.
    Everytime I hear him I can't help but think there's a reason why the words "Giniaux" and "Genius" are so similar.

Hey anybody else notice the amount of downstrokes Seb does? and he seems to use a lower wrist as well.

I noticed that as well. Pretty cool. Extremely talented and refreshing player.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Thanks for that video, amazing!

Bob, your guitar sounds incredible!

Vic, I'm getting one myself too, thanks for asking Mathieu.

He's one of my heroes... from having the pleasure of meeting him I can say he's a real artist and good person too, tough a bit difficult to approach at first.
    Everytime I hear him I can't help but think there's a reason why the words "Giniaux" and "Genius" are so similar.

i think sebastien might be the best GJ player in the world.. in my opinion anyway... he's just so inventive , it's crazy
    By the way, Dennis - thanks much for coming through Portland. Dennis & Rom' came through Portland, did some master classes and a couple of gigs and hosted a jam w/ Michael Papillo to give us 'part-timers' a chance to soak up their goodness and watch their fingers. I think the gypsy method of learning is starting to sink-in... Even a couple years ago when headliners came through Portland - everyone lined up and spent the whole jam silently practicing their fingering so that when their turn came they could throw down their best licks and hopefully get an approving nod from the HDIC (head Djammer in charge) as a result, the rhythm was spotty and soloing erratic. Now people seem to be more interested in finding a chair in the jam where they can get a good view of the fretboards of the guys laying down the big licks and try their best to pompe tastefully while they scrutinize everything the experienced players are doing. I'm not saying it's "day & night" different now - but it's much better. This is really important as it's how this music is passed along. It's happening in general too - you folks talking about how many downstrokes Sebastien uses etc. We're getting there folks. The evolution is happening.
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    Seb, Mathieu, and Jeremie KILLED last night. I was worried about the venue because it's a bit noisy, but they brought the house down. It was packed and people were wandering off the streets and watching with their jaws open. I wish you could have all seen it!

Tonight's your last chance to see them in the west coast before they are back in France!
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    A video from the show:

Sebastien Giniaux Trio performs the stunning Matelot Ferret composition: "Ne Te Presse Pas"

Sorry about the quality, it was a very dark room. But hey, at least you can hear everything!