DjangoBooks.com

Saga Gitane DG-370 MODELE DORADO SCHMITT

2»

Comments

• asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    What do mean by a modern neck? It still has a flat and wide fretboard, right?

What specific things would account for the different sound of the Cigano?
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I still doubt it's as good as US made Dell Arte Hommage, but we'll have to compare them at some point.
    So now that you had a chance to play this Gitane, What do you think of that comparison? And with other guitars around the same price?
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    How would it compare with a DG-300 John Jorgenson model in sound and playability? It's quite a price difference.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The 370 is definitely in another league then the 300....it doesn't have that bass heavy, wet, harsh tone that other Sagas tend to have. It has a much warmer, pleasing tone and is much drier sounding then the 300.

The neck is very fast and modern...the 300 neck is pretty big and traditional.

I think it's definitely worth the extra cash...there's really nothing in the price range. This is it...to get something better you have to go up to a US made Dell Arte or a lower end Dupont which will cost you around another thousand dollars.

Josh loved it the second he opened the box...that's why he's selling his 300!

'm
  • Larry MunsonLarry Munson Beaverton, ORNew
    edited January 2011 Posts: 3
    I won the 370 that was given away at Djangofest Northwest last September and have put a lot of hours on it since. I also own a DuPont MD-40, a Manouche 7-string Howard Alden model and, until I recently sold it, a Dell Arte Hommage oval hole.

When I decided I needed to sell on of my gypsy guitars I chose to sell the Dell Arte because it was my least favorite in overall characteristics (including the 370). Although it was the easiest to play, it had a brighter tone than I really cared for and it had the least volume of the four. That being said it was still a nice instrument. Although the DuPont has, for me, the best tone quality (my ideal of the gj sound) and has very good volume, it still isn't as loud as the 370. I constantly get comments from guitarists and bass players (and even one clarinet player!) on how loud the 370 is. This I find a bit surprising as the 370 seems a bit heavy. The 370 has a very nice tone (not too bright,not too dark)and has excellent sustain. It also has the best rhythm sound of all of my guitars. It is very "punchy", full and has a great "bark". I find myself taking the 370 to jams and acoustic gigs more often now than my DuPont.

The playability is not quite as good as my Du Pont or Hommage but it is certainly not bad. The action is just a bit stiffer and the reach a little longer (although the extra string length really helps with the projection). Setup is very personal anyway and I have done nothing to the setup since I got the guitar. The finish work is also quite nice on this instrument. It is comparable to any manufactured or handmade instrument I have played or owned over the past 50 years.

The overall quality of the 370 is outstanding and it is a great value for the price. Even if I hadn't won this instrument I would have no qualms about paying the market price. I don't think it would disappoint anyone...including Josh. :)
    L
    Thanks for the review Larry! Would you mind posting it in the store?

http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/eco ... g-370.html

thanks!
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    Does this have Favino sized body?
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
    a wrote: »
    Does this have Favino sized body?

@a No, it's Selmer size but the scale length is very long like a Favino (680mm).

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Why I never posted in this thread I don't know, but the 370 is one of my two main guitars. The other is an Altamira M30. Here's a link of me playing it live, which shows its rhythm and lead sounds:

I love the feel, tone and versatility of this model, and have recorded extensively with it.