DjangoBooks.com

String Gage Question

Michael,

What string gages are typical for a 12 fret d-hole versus a 14 fret oval hole?

Thanks

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Well....the 11 gauge strings weren't around for most of the history of this genre. So I can only assume that most people just used 10 gauge strings, with higher action.

Today most people will put 11s on the 12 fret guitars to compensate for the shorter scale length.

'm
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    A lot of players use 11s on the 14 fretters as well, i like those too... low action, heavy strings, I like the feel of less give from the strings as the pick goes through them.
    A lot of players use 11s on the 14 fretters as well, i like those too... low action, heavy strings, I like the feel of less give from the strings as the pick goes through them.

Yes, that's common as well. Stochelo uses the D'Adarrio Silk and Steels which are 11 gauge. But he plays with pretty high action, 4.5mm at the 12th. I think the supple feel of the silk and steels compensates for the tension of the high action.

Duponts seem to love 11 gauge strings...they ship everything with 11 gauge Galli strings and they sound great.
    Duponts seem to love 11 gauge strings...they ship everything with 11 gauge Galli strings and they sound great.
    Do you by any chance know if those Gallis are Silk and steel or silver copper wound??
    I'm pretty sure they're all copper.
    ok, thanks.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Michael,

I didn't see the silk and steel in your store. Do you sell them or have a link for them?

Thanks guys for the replies!
    I actually just put some D'Addario silk and steels on my guitar. I've tried it before but was never totally convinced. The trick is you need to raise your action to make the silk and steels work. My guitars sound great with 10 gauge Argies and a Dupont #1 bridge. But if I put the silk and steels on I have to raise it to a Dupont #2 bridge. The #1 still sounds OK, but you loose a lot of volume. The lower string tension of the Silk and Steels really needs the higher action to get enough pressure on the top. It's a nice solution because you get the advantage of having higher action (less buzzing) but the strings aren't too tense so playability is still fairly easy. Don't know if I'll stick with it. but it's nice to know it works.

I guess the next experiment would be to try the Lenzner 12 gauge silk and steels with the #1 bridge....although strings that heavy could be dangerous on a Selmer guitar!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Great info Michael.

I'll try those!