DjangoBooks.com

DFNW 2009 - who I'd like to see

Comments

• PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    scot wrote:
    No love whatsoever for the many great bands on our continent? Are musicians here eternally condemned to 2nd rate status?
    That's not the case at all. I was just throwing out some alternative suggestions for the overseas musicians who've not been to DFNW. One of the great anticipations of DFNW is which new European GJ guitarists will be on the bill, as, after all, that's where the root of this music is from.

I guess Nina Hartley's from this continent, though? :wink:
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Probably a little history on this thread - Phil and I have had this conversation before - or to be more accurate, an ongoing conversation we've been having for a couple of years... namely that it's expensive to get European artists over here and so when they come over it's important to have work for them and the farther people plan ahead, the more work they can get while they're here. So, that's where the 'dream list' comes from - not from prioritizing continents etc...

SO, WHAT CAN WE DO TO HELP ARTISTS?

With that in mind, it might not be a bad idea for us to start a repository of good GJ-friendly venues - from pubs all the way up to concert halls so that when we do get these top European acts over here (or traveling U.S. acts, for that matter - it's never cheap to travel; and traveling across America is as costly as traveling across countries in Europe) that we can toss enough work at them to make them say: "Hey man, that was a decent tour - I'd go back there again." I mean, it's tough enough to get a good gig if you speak the language and have contacts. Can you imagine parachuting onto a different continent and putting together a good tour? There are a handful of good promoters for this music on this continent - we all know them - but they're all pretty tied up with their festivals. A little grass-roots help from us could go a long way. And hey - it'd benefit local musicians too... anything that brings good bands and good venues together is a positive for all parties. I know some club owners and they're always looking for bands that can draw because they have overhead - including fees that they have to pay to the RIAA/Mafia etal. for the 'priviledge' of employing live bands - all of which they have to pay regardless of whether there are three couples nursing a drink or 30 tables ordering steak.

I've listed several Portland venues in a past post - I'll have to go back and look for it. What do you folks think - is it a good idea or am I just p*ng in the wind? I'm guessint it'd be nice for a band (any band) to be able to say: "OK... we're passing through Little Rock Arkansas in May etc... here's a list of 3 pubs and a college theater who understand what Gypsy Jazz is and like it and are willing to hire provided they like the band... the pubs pay up to $90/person and want a month notice and an MP3 site where they can hear your stuff.. the college theater pays a portion of the door +(base) and wants 6 months notice, a technical rider, a demo CD & two references" etc... or whatever - I don't know how this stuff is done, but there must be a base list of info clubs require... and any knowledge is better than no knowledge at all. Comments?
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    bobholo,
    As always a thought provoking post. I agree- and for the record I can provide a club date or two and a place to stay for free for up to two people here in Brooklyn, NY- though it is across the country!
    Ben
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    No love whatsoever for the many great bands on our continent? Are musicians here eternally condemned to 2nd rate status?

Scot, of course I think it would be awesome to have your band at Djangofest. Your waltz CD is still my favorite waltz cd ever. Have you ever talked to Nick about booking a gig?
  • dapperdan7dapperdan7 ✭✭✭
    in reno/tahoe i can help with shows. gonzalo and his band were surprised there was a community of players and fans in reno. they knew nothing of the nice scene in the grass valley/nevada city california area (robin nolan packs them in there) maybe up to us to step up and let the artists know.
    almost forgot to mention Paulus Schafer, and Wawau Adler amongst persons I'd like to see at future Djangofests. ;-)
  • A.K. KibbenA.K. Kibben Tucson AZ USANew
    scot wrote:

Well said Scott...
    Always love your stuff!
    I love a lot of stateside ensembles including and not limited to HCoDetroit, etc, etc...
    Best...
    sounds like we need a "north american djangofest" that is 100% pure native bands. now, that would be a nice hommage to local talent... they could make it so that only a local band can be listed on the bill but they can allow foreign guests on stage if they want. also, they can play any style as long as they use the gypsy archtops... just a thought... i dont expect people to think its a good idea...
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Sounds kinda like Djangofest New Mexico...
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Good points Bob, Scot and John--and worthy of further discussion. However, I'd like to take a moment and divert back for a quickie to the original question about who to see at DFNW. My vote is for Les Doigts de L'Homme. I've been jonesin' to see these fellas for a few years now. Les Doigts de L'Homme. Did I say Les Doigts de L'Homme? Check 'em out on YouTube if you haven't seen them yet.