DjangoBooks.com

$78 Sonora D-Hole

Comments

• tikidaddytikidaddy New YorkNew
    My guitar is 12 fret, 25 1/2 " scale with a zero fret...
    Back is 2 ply, with a more pronounced arch than the top. Straight bracing for the soundboard only. Pickguard is painted on!
    The mystery tailpiece is no mystery... is definitely original to the guitar and has a very homespun quality to it. The bridge is both decorative and crude.
    So next step is to get it playable. It has a nice old style "d" profile neck and is super lightweight, which is a good sign and consistent with the original Selmer/Macs that I have had the opportunity to play. The brass frets are hanging over the edge a bit and will need to be filed. The action is on the high side. The tuners kind of work... but before I get carried away with any upgrades (tuners, bridge, tailpiece) I just want to see how it sounds. Will keep you posted!
  • TexasrockabillyrebelTexasrockabillyrebel Denton, Tx✭✭✭
    I swear I've seen that tailpiece before, it's very similar to a National Tricone.
    Playing guitar gives you cancer.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    I'd tought it was a resonator guitar tailpiece too, but there are just 3 holes in the back of the guitar perfectly matching those on the tailpiece... so it seems original (maybe Sonora did Dobros too!).

The guitar is MUCH better than I expected! Beautiful top grain. I'm sure it will sound great...

P.S.

The arched back still points to Di Mauro.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Another link to the "Sicilian connection" :) . Look at the bridge and the three piece neck. Maybe Carmelo Catania made those Sonora..
    It looks like it was built June 28 1952? A little hard to see in the picture you posted... In common, there is the 3 piece neck, the bridge which is identical and the funky handmade tail piece. Otherwise it look likes one-of-a-kind production (so far).

BTW, my guitar sound great - it is the real deal!
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Here's the smoking gun!

Antonio Di Mauro, Carmelo Catania e Vincenzo Jacobacci

Catania by the way was the only luthier in Sicily those days with the muscles to produce necks and parts for third parties.

I think the case is pretty much solved...
    Frater please expand on your thinking here!