DjangoBooks.com

Angelo DVD?

RKatzRKatz London✭✭✭✭
edited December 2005 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 184
Is there such a thing I have heard rumors, and if so where can I get it?

Comments

• djohndjohn Philadelphia, PANew
    You don't have to look far:

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/cg ... HOME:video

(Haven't seen it but it's on my list.)

John
  • RKatzRKatz London✭✭✭✭
    Are there any extras? Can't wait to get this.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Angelo looks exactly like my dad... I think I might be half gypsy. :-)
  • ClayClay Tulsa, OkNew
    bought the angelo and boulou and elios dvds right as soon as i saw them. The angelo dvd was to me slightly dissapointing , it dosent look like hes having the best time , or like he's really trying much when hes soloing. And sometimes he take really short solos. Its still entertaining and the extra is a workshop given by him , thats really some great playing. Still i reccomend getting it.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    sounds like Angelo is getting a little bored with gypsy jazz? Bireli doesn't seem the most excited either. Tchavalo sure looks like he is having fun all the time... :-)
  • ClayClay Tulsa, OkNew
    i dont know if its angelo getting bored or hes just unsatisfied with the group. Honestly i was bored with tims violin playing , florin blows just about everyone out of the water. as far as bireli goes , i dont know , hes still touring with the gypsy project. But you gotta remember , these guys have been playing these songs since they were 10 , so its gotta get a little monotonous sometimes.
  • Tom ConwayTom Conway Maui, HawaiiNew
    For me the DVD is a must have since I don't have lots of footage of Angelo. Watching him play a crispy "La Gitane" is technically brilliant and worth the price alone. I like the bass player; he grooves and moves his body - plays like he's really into it. The violinist is very good as everyone knows but he appears stiff as stone in much of this performance. Anyway, if you like Angelo get this. It wasn't that long ago that a lot of this stuff was pretty much only available by ordering from Europe.

Tom
  • RKatzRKatz London✭✭✭✭
    I live in Europe and now that there is this site this stuff is only available by ordering from the states.
  • nuagesnuages central ar.✭✭✭
    I just received this DVD and Angelo doesn't come across as being bored to me at all. I just think that he is a very focused player and may appear to some to be bored. I love his playing, however Tim's playing on this DVD is somewhat suspect in a few places.

I think this is a great DVD and wouldn't hesitate to buy it again if need be.

Jimmy
  • plankityplankity CTNew
    I think Angelo is somewhat detached and in a meditative state when he plays: I watched eight shows and a workshop at Birdland (NYC) last weekend and he is always sort of scowling onstage... just his persona, I guess. I was selling CDs and DVDs so I was there all the time: I also bought a copy of this DVD and have to say Tim's playing is "less than precise" and the bass player overplays. I don't want to discourage anyone from buying it though: it looks almost as good as Archtop Eddie's cams - excellent sustained footage of the guitar neck/fingerboard and there is a workshop 'extra' -- this DVD is a real bargain.

It also makes you realize live music is meant to be enjoyed as it happens: for those folks who were there, this show must have been a thrill to see! For those of us watching the recording, it is easy to fall into the analytical trap and pick everything apart.

But you should buy this: you won't regret it!

N--