DjangoBooks.com

Pourquoi La Pompe?

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps it might be common in London, but i'm from the north. We just call it 'rhythm'. :)

Oddly, I think a lot of people get so caught up in the first term they forget about the second...
  • Captain SwingCaptain Swing U.K.New
    Jack wrote:
    Oddly, I think a lot of people get so caught up in the first term they forget about the second...

I seem to recognise your avatar. Were you 'justjack' on the Hot Club UK forum? (I'm going back a few years mind, since i posted there regularly)
  • clacosclacos New
    Well maybe some people do, but i'd never heard of it until i found this forum, despite being involved in Gypsy/Jazz for 18yrs.
    everybody does use 'la pompe' in French. My friend used to play with gypsies, from whom he had picked up the term. This was before Romane made his 'La pompe' book. I would bet this is originally parisian slang from the 1920-30's..

Brandoneon's explanation could be the right one.
    clacos wrote:
    This was before Romane made his 'La pompe' book.

See, i don't even know about that.

It seems i live in a bubble. :lol:
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Jack wrote:

I seem to recognise your avatar. Were you 'justjack' on the Hot Club UK forum? (I'm going back a few years mind, since i posted there regularly)

Yep...I still look in there a lot, but there isn't as much going on these days (as you recently noted); I think a lot of people felt like every thread devolved into dirty jokes, and gradually stopped posting...good to see you back, though!

best,
    Jack.
  • Matthias LenzMatthias Lenz Lucklum, GermanyNew
    In Stephane Wrembel´s book the picking technique for soloing is called "La plume"...any ideas about the origin of that ?
    Jack wrote:
    Yep...I still look in there a lot, but there isn't as much going on these days (as you recently noted); I think a lot of people felt like every thread devolved into dirty jokes, and gradually stopped posting...good to see you back, though!

best,
    Jack.

Good to see you again too, Jack. 8)
    It's certainly dead over there these days. The thing i liked about Hot Club UK was the off-topic section where you could just chew the fat & crack jokes etc...
    But yeah i guess if it was encroaching on all the 'proper' threads, then i can see how it would get tedious. For my money, it's nice to have a bit of both though. :)
    Anyway..... Thanks for all the various responses guys. I'm getting used to the word 'pomp' now. :lol:
    I guess my 'pomp' varies in style according to how the tune feels at the time, & the tempo, who i'm playing with at the time etc.. etc... I'm generally quite traditional i think, but i can lay it on thick with the aggressive germanic approach if i want to. ;)
    In Stephane Wrembel´s book the picking technique for soloing is called "La plume"...any ideas about the origin of that ?

La plume which is the feather is use in France to describe the right hand.
  • Matthias LenzMatthias Lenz Lucklum, GermanyNew

Thank you. Any pictures coming to mind why they call it the feather ? Perhaps a metaphor to describe the "lightness" of the technique ?

Thank you. Any pictures coming to mind why they call it the feather ? Perhaps a metaphor to describe the "lightness" of the technique ?

Yes that's it.