DjangoBooks.com

Installing a Schatten Pickup on my Gitane

Hi, I just received my gitane D-500. I am going to install the schatten pickup, and was wondering if some other people who use them could give me some advice. Is there any reason to modify the tailpiece so that the endpin jack is centered? If it is truly an unnescessary step than I will skip it, but I want to make sure there are no advantages to changing it. Also, while I have some experience working with guitars, I have never added an endpin jack where there wasn't already a hole. Any tips on how to do it cleanly? I don't see why I wouldn't be able to do it myself, but I am a little nervous.

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    hi colin, email michael collins at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e --> he has experience installing these pickups, btw are u guys still playing barfly on wednesdays, i ll pass by tomoroow night
  • ScotsmanScotsman MinnesotaNew
    I think the only reason for centering the end-jack is if you plan on using it for a guitar strap, if you play sitting I don't think it would be worth altering the tail piece. I mounted a endpin jack just below the tailpiece on my Dg250and it worked out just fine. As far as drilling the hole,start with a small drill bit then the proper size for the jack. It helps with splintering if you put some masking tape on first then drill,also use brand new drill bits.
    Most importantly take your timeand don't try to force the drill.Hope this helps, its really not to difficult
    Good luck :)
    Steve
  • trumbologytrumbology San FranciscoNew
    I understand (from Michael Collins) that the Schatten pickup was being redesigned because of insufficient gain. I'm not sure if there is more than one acoustic guitar Schatten pickup, or what the status is on this modification.

Anyone know anything about these?

nh
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    trumbology wrote:
    I understand (from Michael Collins) that the Schatten pickup was being redesigned because of insufficient gain. I'm not sure if there is more than one acoustic guitar Schatten pickup, or what the status is on this modification.

Anyone know anything about these?

nh

As far as I know there are 3 Schatten pickup types - HFN for steel string guitars, HFN-C for classical guitars, and HFN-S for selmer-style guitars.

Don't know why they'd redesign them. Each one already comes in active and passive versions. The active one, with built-in preamp, is quite hot from what I've heard. The passive one, which I have, is indeed quiet, but it's assumed that you bring your own preamp with these, so why would it need to be louder? I use mine with a Baggs Para Acoustic Pre and a Compact 60 and it sounds amazing.

Check out their site:

http://www.schattendesign.com

Also, if you have technical questions, contact them. They are very responsive and happy to help.
  • Colin PerryColin Perry Montreal, QCNew
    Another thing I should have initially asked:

The pick up comes with three different ways to mount it. Thick and thin double sided tape, and some sort of blue tacky substance. Those of you who are using this pickup, Which did you find gave the best results?
    Just wondering how the install went and how does it sound I'm thinking about installing one in my dg250 :?:
    I'm bringing it to my luthier on Monday. Micheal Collins was very generous with his time and gave me some suggestions via e-mail. He drills through the tailpiece for the endpin jack. This seems like a good idea to me, as it will make the whole thing more stable, and provide a ground to the strings. (hopefully that won't be nescessary). Micheal suggested using the putty. It turns out my luthier has installed a few of these before. He suggested using epoxy, as there is no risk of the elements falling off, and it will provide the strongest signal. I told Micheal about this and he agreed that it was a good idea. I also e-mailed Les Schatten, and he agreed that it was a good idea as well. The only drawback is that it is much more permanent installation. I already know I like the guitar, so I am going to put in the pickup with the thin tape, and see how it sounds. If I like the pickup, then I will go back and have my luthier put it in with the epoxy. I put up another post when it is all done.
    I'm bringing it to my luthier on Monday. Micheal Collins was very generous with his time and gave me some suggestions via e-mail. He drills through the tailpiece for the endpin jack. This seems like a good idea to me, as it will make the whole thing more stable, and provide a ground to the strings. (hopefully that won't be nescessary). Micheal suggested using the putty. It turns out my luthier has installed a few of these before. He suggested using epoxy, as there is no risk of the elements falling off, and it will provide the strongest signal. I told Micheal about this and he agreed that it was a good idea. I also e-mailed Les Schatten, and he agreed that it was a good idea as well. The only drawback is that it is much more permanent installation. I already know I like the guitar, so I am going to put in the pickup with the thin tape, and see how it sounds. If I like the pickup, then I will go back and have my luthier put it in with the epoxy. I put up another post when it is all done.
    Well, whats the verdict :?: :?: :?:
    Finally got the pickup installed on Wednesday, and I used it that night. This thing is great. It is easily the most natural and transparent acoustic pickup I have ever used. My luthier drilled a hole through the metal tailpiece to install the endpin jack. I think this pickpup is a fantastic buy, and I am completely satisfied. I used a pick up the world powerjack for a preamp, and an ultrasound di to run it to the board.
    Thats great I'm happy that it worked out, Did you go the epoxy route or use the putty?
    All the best,
    Steve